Lfs: Cycle Fish - Insane?

It really doesn't matter if you tell them its wrong, There in it to make money. They sell you fish to cycle with and they die, you go back to buy more fish. That is all that matters to most lfs.
 
It really doesn't matter if you tell them its wrong, There in it to make money. They sell you fish to cycle with and they die, you go back to buy more fish. That is all that matters to most lfs.


While this is true, they also are looking for the simple answer so that people can understand. It's much easier to tell someone about a fish in cycle (plus most customers will buy fish even though they won't live) than to explain a fishless cycle. It's sad really.
 
You will almost never hear any LFS mention cycling with ammonia. I've been in about 10 in and around where I live and when you mention it, they just tell you it's a waste of time. Some of those stores are chain pet stores but some are true fish stores. It seems that it is rare that you get good advice from a fish store about anything. It's also doubtful you will find any that will give you any media. Most are on large systems and won't get into trying to pull media out.
 
I've never done a fishless cycle. The last time I cycled a tank I used gouramis and they lived quite some time after that. In fact, they spawned some time later and I still have two of their young. These were the blue three spot (Trichogaster trichopterus) gouramis which are very tough fish.

If you cycle with fish in, you have to have patience and do a lot of water changes. All the tanks now have been cloned from that one tank. IMHO, this is the easiest and best method of all. :D
 

Most reactions

Back
Top