Lfs: Cycle Fish - Insane?

Leedsboi86

Fish Addict
Joined
Aug 7, 2006
Messages
868
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leeds - United Kingdom
Hey everyone.

I was having abit of trouble working out how much Ammonia I add to my Aquarium for the cycle, So I ended up
going to one of my LFS last night(they open til 9pm) to ask them, In the past they have always given me some
really good advice.

Anyway when I got there I asked the guy how much I should use and his response was "Oh go look at the Aquariums with a Red sticker on there Cycle fish"

I kinda knew what he was getting at but I wanted to see what was marked as Cycle fish, I made a note of all of the red stickerd ones and found it very worrying.

List:
-----

Neon Tetra
Tiger Barb
Barbs
Guppies
Angelfish
Betta Female
Goldfish
Gourami
Rams
Convict Cichild
Mist Cichild
Platies
Mollies


Now forgive me if I'm wrong but aren't all the fish listed above quite delicate?
I mean I doubt any of them could survive a cycle.... Am I wrong or is the guy just marking anything as a cycle fish.

I'm against fish cycling but surely anyone who was gonna do it with the fish listed above isn't that just a disaster?
 
Thats bad advice anyway, I don't think any fish should be recommended to cycle a tank. Some fish on that list could probably survive (eg. convicts, they're built like tanks) but they wont enjoy it and will probbly suffer. Fish such as rams and neons would probably die as these are more delicate.

Any idea what the 'mist cichlid' was, never heard of this, probably a LFS selling name.
 
I think they were Keyholes - Mist

Not 100% sure tho.

Surely tho any fish even convicts that are built like tanks will die in the cycle.
and Angelfish? Look at the funny and they die! lol
 
Neon Tetra: NO
Tiger Barb: NO
Guppies:MIGHT(when i did a fish in cycle all of mine survived)
Angelfish:NO
Betta Female:MIGHT
Goldfish:DEFINATLY NO!
Gourami:NO
Rams:NO
Convict Cichild:NO
Mist Cichild:NO
Platies:MIGHT
Mollies:MIGHT
 
I think they were Keyholes - Mist

Not 100% sure tho.

Surely tho any fish even convicts that are built like tanks will die in the cycle.
and Angelfish? Look at the funny and they die! lol

Convicts can survive cycles, they are incredibly hardy, by not means is it good for them and they most likely suffer both in the short term and long term but they can survive.
 
But surely a LFS should know better then using these fish to cycle, Any fish infact!
I happen to like convicts and think cycleing with that is just plain nasty, Any fish would be nasty but I just happen to like convicts
 
ive always done fish in cycling. but i do and did 10% water changes every 12 hours for 2 weeks and then 10% every 24 hours for a week and then 10% every 2 days for a week. and then my cycle finished, and never in the cycling process have i had a fish die.

the LFS dont care, notice how some of these are delicate species? well what happens when they die? you go back for more

this is a LFS assistant when he sees you walk into his shop $$$$$.

however not all LFS's are like this its mainly the chain stores that are like this.
 
Thanks for the info truck, I intend to go into the store today and see what other fish they have a red sticker on, And cause I need some more food.

Truck you used Guppies for your cycles correct?
I thought they were as delicate as angels 0.0
 
ive always used guppies. but the thing is nowa days so many people are breeding them with endlers so you get defected and weak genes, and the these endler/guppy are breed with guppys so the strain looses pureness etc, there are so many factors. but if you can get a "pure" guppy they are pretty ,much rock solid.
 
Ohh another thing with Convicts in mind isn't there the issue that they go at it like rabbits?
I don't know the difference between male or female convicts(if there is any) so I wouldn't be able to comment
further but as far as I was told they breed like mad.
 
I would avoid buying fish unless your tank is cycled, a fish in cycle is in my opinion, a cruel and outdated method of cycling a tank.

You tell convicts apart as females have orange spangles on their bellys, males lack this.
 
I have bottled ammonia :D
Also hoiping that another store will give me some of there media today.

Think I'm gonna have to talk to the store and explain to them about what they are doing to the poor fishies.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top