Reaction score
Tank size: 10 gallons

pH: 6.6

nitrite: 0ppm

nitrate: 42ppm

kH: 10-15ppm (extremely low)

gH: off the charts (extremely high)

tank temp: 77-78[sup]o[/sup]f

[I plan on making a trip to my lfs as soon as I can to pick up some 'API Proper pH' to increase my Carbonate Hardness and some water softener to reduce my General Hardness. My tank temp is a little warmer than usual because I have newborn guppy fry in my tank.]

Fish Symptoms: I got a male dwarf gourami in mid-late June of this year and when I got him, he was active, vibrantly colored, eating well, and overall healthy; but about a month to a month and a half ago he changed. His scales seem faded and dull and I never see him eat anymore (so he's probably nibbling on the feeding block or eating stray flakes that my other fish missed.) He's become lethargic and antisocial -- he's always hiding behind tank decorations and he kind of rests on the bottom of the tank, always tilting to one side. He doesn't swim around much anymore and when he does, it looks like he's really struggling. He doesn't have inflamation around the gills, I don't think he's bloated, and he doesn't have any sores or wounds.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: roughly 25% every week or week and a half

Chemical Additives: Tap water dechlorinator, API aquarium salt, and StressZyme (it has live bacteria to boost the biological filter), and just recently I used a 'Tetra No More Algae' tablet for the first time ever.

Tank inhabitants: 1 male tuxedo guppy, 1 female cobra guppy, 1 female sunset wag platy, 12 newborn guppy fry (in a small net within the tank to avoid being eaten because I don't have another tank for them yet, sadly), and, obviously, 1 male dwarf gourami

Recent additions (living or decoration): I just put in a couple of fake plants (because I had to remove my live plants before putting in the algae tablet) and the guppy fry

I don't have any pictures yet but I will try to upload a couple tomorrow

Can't say for sure but it could be dwarf gourami disease, it can take months to rear its head. You should look into the symptoms.

Do you have a test kit for ammonia please?
What is your tap nitrate reading?

The faded scales do they look bleached out, bleaching beneath the skin, any white edges to the scales.

I would try a bacterial medication but it might already be to late to save the fish.
Can you isolate the sick fish for treatment?

I don't have a test kit for ammonia or a hospital tank to isolate my fish
unsure.png
Sadly, I'm an unemployed teenager living with my parents and I'm reliant on them to buy me what I need for my fish, and they didn't want to spend money on a hospital tank. There's good news, though. My gourami was swimming around a bit last night and this morning. He kept having to rest on the floor of the tank, like all the swimming around wore him out. But it's good that he's slightly more active, right? I have a couple pics saved to a folder on my computer but I'm not sure how to upload them onto this site...

It sounds like he has a internal bacteria infection.

Signs of an internal bacteria infection.
Listless and lethargic.
Fish will look pale, or darker in colour.
Struggle to get off the bottom of the tank, or top.
Resting for long periods of time. Sometimes leaning to one side when resting.
Fish will struggle to swim, and even be unable to maintain balance in the water.
Turning upside down.
Long stringy white waste, grey stringy waste.

Unfortunately my poor Ringo passed yesterday. I thought he was getting better because he was becoming more active but I guess not. Thanks anyways, Wilder. I may have read your last post too late to save my gourami, but now if any of my other fish show similar symptoms I will have a better idea of how to help them. Rest in Peace Love Unity and Respect, Ringo <3

Bless Him. Sorry for your loss.
rip.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back