Leeches? On my shrimp?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

rom

Reaction score
I've been having some problems with my cherry shrimp. They seem to keep dying and the female's eggs are going bad. At first, I thought it was fungi but now I think it's probably parasites. I saw a male with what looked like 2 white stripes inside his thorax. And today I saw a worm on the glass that I thought could be responsible.

It was a small, short, white worm. Definitely not a detritus worm as it was wider. It does not seem to be free-swimming. There was no eyespot or diamond-shaped head that I could see but it was very small.

What do I do? I have a lot of snails and fish in the tank too, are they in danger?

I've been having some problems with my cherry shrimp. They seem to keep dying and the female's eggs are going bad. At first, I thought it was fungi but now I think it's probably parasites. I saw a male with what looked like 2 white stripes inside his thorax. And today I saw a worm on the glass that I thought could be responsible.

It was a small, short, white worm. Definitely not a detritus worm as it was wider. It does not seem to be free-swimming. There was no eyespot or diamond-shaped head that I could see but it was very small.

What do I do? I have a lot of snails and fish in the tank too, are they in danger?
Photos?

Look at this website and see if you can identify what your shrimp have on them.
from this website, it looks like Holtodrilus Truncates are the culprit. I think my only option is to give the shrimp salt baths which will be difficult as they're had to catch in my tank.

don't give fish or shrimp salt baths, just add salt to the tank.
Are you sure?
My tank also has snails (MTS and nerite), CPDs and Otocinclus as well as may different plant species

I saw a male with what looked like 2 white stripes inside his thorax.
Im fairly certain shrimp dont have thorax. Could you circle where the 'leech' would be?
1617914640536.png

Most reactions

Back