Led Lighting For Fluval Roma 90

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

David J

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi

I have a Roma 90 which has a closed top with T8 tube lighting. It is time for me to replace the tubes and I've been thinking I'd rather have LED's. I like the closed top because I have cats and my panda Cory's often jump and hit the hood so wouldn't want an open top.

Does anyone know of any LED lighting on the market that would fit my tank, or recommend how to modify the existing unit into an LED system? I've had a really good look online but can only find the canopy type units that leave the top open.

Thanks

David

The two I was looking at were TMC Grobeam and Arcadia Eco Aqua. That was some time ago so I don't know if there are better options on the market now!

If you get the Eco Aqua tubes I'd be interested to see before and after shots for colour comparison. The colour temperature put me off a bit - their 'daylight' is a bit on the blue side at 8K+ and the 'tropical' a bit too red for my tastes! I was tempted to get one of each to balance out a bit.

Hi Daize,

I'm still considering my options and also have lots of improvements in the pipeline. I'll be sure to share some pics when I've finally taken the plunge.

David

Hi

I've just ordered 2 of the Eco aqua LEDs and although it states they will fit existing T8 attachments I am now worried that it won't fit.

I will be fitting them to my roma 90 lighting unit. See photos for anyone not familiar with it. My concern is that the new lights seem to come with a power lead coming out of the end of each one so each need plugged in. I'm not sure my lighting unit will allow for a lead coming out of the end of each tube. The lighting unit as you can see has a single power cord from the centre.

The Eco Aqua LEDs come with adapters to allow fitting to t8 units. I thought it would just be a tube with LEDs in it that fits in like the existing fluorescent t8's and didn't appreciate that they each have cables.

Does anyone know if there is a way to fit them or should I cancel my order? Also, if they can be fitted, what would I do with the existing power lead for the lighting unit because it doesn't come off.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu120/DavMars/3271c719f1a0930fcc2be0bb337633aa.jpg

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu120/DavMars/32ff5f77e5f1f0e669509711eae5c38c.jpg

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu120/DavMars/052466aa6605b7426f7e4d9fe2b1a0d8.jpg

Thanks folks,

David

They're LEDs so they certainly won't plug into the existing T8 starter unit, they come with their own power system.
The official description says "Lamps are sized to fit between existing T8 lamp holders" so I might expect that they are sized a bit shorter to fit in the same space without removing the existing fittings? I don't know for sure though

Are these the adaptors you're getting? http://www.warehouse-aquatics.co.uk/marine/marine-lighting/reflectors-and-accessories/arcadia-eco-aqua-t8-lamp-holders-adaptor-clips.html

"The Eco-Aqua T8 adaptors clip onto each end of an Eco-Aqua lamp, allowing it to fit into existing T8 aquarium light fittings. With the clips fitted, the Eco-Aqua lamps are the same length as equivalent T8 fluorescent lamps. For example a 9W Eco-Aqua lamp, which is equivalent to a 15W T8 aquarium lamp, is the same length as a 15W T8 lamp when the clips are fitted."

Sounds like it will work? Looks like it will work too, from this picture:

clip_1.jpg

Yes those are the adapters I'll be getting and from that picture you've posted it looks good but I'm just not sure where the cable that comes out of the end of the lamp will go if its clipped into these adapters. I reckon it'll be ok but time will tell. Fingers crossed.

Hi

Sorry it has taken me so long to update on this. For anyone that's looking to do this, it's easy. Trust me, I'm rubbish at any kind of DIY and I managed it. When I was looking into it I found various threads on other forums etc which all made it look really complicated but in reality it was simple.

First off, the adapters. I had been concerned about how the adapters would allow for the power cord which comes out of one end of the led unit. No need to worry. Here's a pic which shows the other side of the adapters that the online pictures don't show. There is a longer channel for the power cord.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu120/DavMars/3fa4cb6c06e0ca039f21d54f1a119a00.jpg

Here's a pic showing the lamp fitted into the adapter with the cable coming out underneath. The adapters come with rubber bushes that fit over the threads that are no longer needed.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu120/DavMars/98da5b50e3a22a477b8b242c5b92c96a.jpg

You then just need to cut the power cord that's no longer needed. Well, you don't have too but I did. Be sure to seal off the open end with insulating tape or something and bobs your uncle.

I don't have a pic to show the before and after but will get one on ASAP.

David

Sounds good :)

What power output or par do these led's give out, do you know?

Don't know about par but they use 18W (9W each) compared to a total 30W with the old tubes, if that's what you were meaning?

They're about 40% cheaper to run. Probably more because I run both light for 6 and a half hours the the front one is timed to go off, leaving the back one on alone for the last hour. It looks really nice with the one on its own. I'll post pics soon.

David

David J said:
I don't have a pic to show the before and after but will get one on ASAP.

Yes please!

Which one(s) did you get?

Hi Daize,

I got 2 daylight ones. All down to personal taste I guess. No complaints from me. They look great and as I said above, if you time one to go off about an hour before the other, you'll get a really nice effect.

The other thing I've noticed about LEDs is less heat coming off them. The hood is ever so slightly warm whereas it was fairly warm with the old tubes. This must help keep the temp down in the summer months. I remember last summer having my heater switched off for about a month and the temp stayed at about 27/28 Celsius. When the lights went on the temp steadily climbed. My target temp being 25. This summer it didn't seem to be a problem and we were uncomfortably hot ourselves for a good month or so. The temp hasn't gone above 26 to my knowledge.

Still no pics. Soon I promise.

David

Most reactions

Back