Led Dimming

bricko

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody had a good DIY or manufactured automatic dimming solution for my LED lighting?

Currently thelighting comes on with a timer but it is either on / off and I was wondering if there was any way to make it fade in / out at either end of the timescale.

The lights I have are these
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/wavepoint-led-strip-light-6500k-48-p-6699.html

thanks in advance for any options / advice.

Regards,

Bricko

DIY, you need the proper bulbs/LEDS if not then it'll shorten the life of the bulb and could pop the bulb, seen it happen. thank the gods it wasn't over a tank, but wasn't nice ha.

don't know much else to tell you, hope you get more info from someone who has more experience. 

I'm interested too. The dimming modules are costly equipment :)

Hello,

An interesting set of problems here...

Commercial solutions are quite costly and often poorly implemented.

Something like this is crying out for a microcontroller solution. Using one of these allows all sorts of possibilities.

Examples include variable, timed brightness levels, colour variations (e.g. such things as moon lighting and simulated lightening with RGB leds).

Any of the development boards (e.g Ardunio, Raspberry Pi, virtually any PIC development board etc.) will easily handle this..

Basically anything that has onboard PWM....

I've got a partially completed project on the "getroundtoit" list. It's based on a PIC18 and will do everything mentioned here (and more). Total build cost should be around £20 - £30 or so. Still debugging....

The important thing to remember is that LEDs are easily damaged/destroyed by over voltage/current.

Do a google search for led controller projects..  there are plenty around.

Bodge99

Most reactions

Back