LED dimmer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Robder

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hiya,

I've purchased a Juwel Rio 450. It's a beast of a tank - looks great. Only problem is the lack of controls on lighting.

Does anyone know the best/cheapest way to upgrade the tank to a timed dimmer switch?

Thanks! :)

Hiya,

I've purchased a Juwel Rio 450. It's a beast of a tank - looks great. Only problem is the lack of controls on lighting.

Does anyone know the best/cheapest way to upgrade the tank to a timed dimmer switch?

Ive been looked into this lately for my 450 and there doesnt seem to be too many options sadly.

You can get the HeliaLux SmartController which is meant to be really good for the new models but its not cheap.

Hiya - yes I saw this. Looks great!

Any idea if I need to get the HeliaLux bulb with it? Or will it work with the one my tank came with?

I read that the 2017 version won't work with it, but no idea on mine.

can you buy a dimmer switch from a hardware/ electronics store and wire it in?

maybe see if there's an app for your phone that has a light dimmer in it.

I don't know anything about phones so hope that makes sense to you people with phones :)

I'm not sure if that's possible - although if I find it is I'll be very happy.

The Novolux looks like a cheaper, less colourful alternative...but there's not much info online.

Is not buying a led light with a dimming function built in or app controlled an option - lots of choice on the net (amazon)

One of our newer members is a sparky (electronic engineer) and might be able to offer some advice. Can't remember his name tho.

I'd love some advice on this if anyone's done it - cheers all!

I’ve done a similar thing.I had marina vue aquarium with Leds.I brought a Nicrew Led timer and dimmer switch worked great.Good news is that there not expensive.Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll check it out. I wonder if a switch/dimmer would be enough.

I have it in my head that you can't dim tube lights, but I hope I'm wrong.

I think they're tubes anyway (!) - the standard ones that come with Juwel tank setups that is. :)

Hiya,

Look at marine aqua tank light timer etc 150 cm £74-61

According to Juwel's website, the Rio 450 comes with Multilux lighting as standard (not Novolux or Helialux). In the FAQ page on the website is this

• Is the lighting dimmable?​

The MultiLux LED that is installed in the factory (from 2017) is not dimmable. By switching to the HeliaLux system (LED or Spectrum) combined with HeliaLux SmartControl you are able to implement individual daily sequences and dimming curves.
From https://www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk/Service-juwel/Questions-and-answers/

It looks as though the tubes are not dimmable. The only option would be to replace the Multilux light bar with a Helialux light bar and Smart Control to be able to dim the lights.

Most reactions

trending

Back