LED dimmer

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
According to Juwel's website, the Rio 450 comes with Multilux lighting as standard (not Novolux or Helialux). In the FAQ page on the website is this

From https://www.juwel-aquarium.co.uk/Service-juwel/Questions-and-answers/

It looks as though the tubes are not dimmable. The only option would be to replace the Multilux light bar with a Helialux light bar and Smart Control to be able to dim the lights.

Yes that's what I figured...Sadly the Helialux system, whilst beautiful, is SO expensive for the 450l.

I think I have no choice but to look for a cheaper alternative.

The main trouble with Juwel lighting is that both tubes are on and off at the same time. You can't have one on and the other off.
I have a tank with two lights on separate cables which means I can have one switching on before the other, and one going off before the other, a sort of primitive dimming at each end of the lighting on period. That could be an option for you, possibly cheaper that the Helialux option - replace the Juwel tubes with a different brand retrofit LED which each have their own power cables. The ones I know about are by Superfish and Aquael. Both have a plastic sleeve which fits over the tube ends with prongs enabling them to fit in lamp holders of the original light fitting; you just don't plug the original lights in. But this would depend on the Multiux tube ends being the same size as T8 or T5 fluorescent tubes.
Something to ponder on anyway.

The main trouble with Juwel lighting is that both tubes are on and off at the same time. You can't have one on and the other off.
I have a tank with two lights on separate cables which means I can have one switching on before the other, and one going off before the other, a sort of primitive dimming at each end of the lighting on period. That could be an option for you, possibly cheaper that the Helialux option - replace the Juwel tubes with a different brand retrofit LED which each have their own power cables. The ones I know about are by Superfish and Aquael. Both have a plastic sleeve which fits over the tube ends with prongs enabling them to fit in lamp holders of the original light fitting; you just don't plug the original lights in. But this would depend on the Multiux tube ends being the same size as T8 or T5 fluorescent tubes.
Something to ponder on anyway.

Indeed loads to think about. I'm beginning to think Juwel have designed their tank this way to paint you into a corner financially.

When I had a Juwel tank about 15 years ago they used T8 flourescent tubes, but a size very slightly different from other makes so you had to use Juwel's tubes. Eventually other manufacturers started making Juwel compatible tubes. So it's in their history.
Thinking about it, Aquael sizes include some with a J in the name which stands for Juwel.

I’ve done a similar thing.I had marina vue aquarium with Leds.I brought a Nicrew Led timer and dimmer switch worked great.Good news is that there not expensive.Hope this helps.
Someone told me to do this when I asked a very similar thing. I bought the Nicrew but the problem is the cables are moulded on, rather than plugged in, so there is nowhere to add the Nicrew.
The way I reduced the lighting was to turn the Day bulb upside down so the opaque side dimmed the light that shines into the tank. Someone else swapped the Day bulb for a second Nature bulb. This is better as you won't get blinded when you lift the lid but unfortunately I can't find the right model Nature bulb for my Juwel tanks.

I clip a reflector under one of the tubes in my Rio 125, or you could reverse the bulb as suggested above but I have never tried this so do not know if it would work or not. Keeps the intensity manageable.

Someone told me to do this when I asked a very similar thing. I bought the Nicrew but the problem is the cables are moulded on, rather than plugged in, so there is nowhere to add the Nicrew.
The way I reduced the lighting was to turn the Day bulb upside down so the opaque side dimmed the light that shines into the tank. Someone else swapped the Day bulb for a second Nature bulb. This is better as you won't get blinded when you lift the lid but unfortunately I can't find the right model Nature bulb for my Juwel tanks.
@Naughts you had any problems with turning one blub upside down? Heat ok on the lid etc?

pooooo:
EDIT
My grandson got his pawprints all over this. Sorry for the confusion

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back