Leaking Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Once I can get it switched over I can look closer. I could have cracked it when syphoning the gravel as they are larger pebbles. All I can think of. The tank is only like 2.5 yeas old.
It could have just been sealed off poorly. The seals should last over 10 years. My brother had a tank spring a leak after about a year.... I've never heard of that happening to anyone but him.

I doubt that you cracked it syphoning. A crack on the bottom of the tank would empty that whole tank in no time.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

just think....if you get a new tank to replace it and then find that the tank was not leaking at all after testing it without the equipment, you will have another tank. Or if it does leak, perhaps it's an easy fix. Then you have the luxury of finding more fish to put in your extra tank....win...win!

Last edited:
Resealing tanks is a little time consuming, but pretty easy....just a pain getting all the old silicone out.

So was/is it really leaking? Need an update.

Resealing tanks is a little time consuming, but pretty easy....just a pain getting all the old silicone out.

So was/is it really leaking? Need an update.
Very easy. I wouldn't bother resealing a small tank. A tube of silicone is as much as a new tank.

UPDATE: First, @Fishmanic, I had the same thought. Filled the sucker up and crossed my fingers. It leaked all over the counter. Dang it! Found no leaks but I had siliconed a divider inside the tank and then remove it a few months ago. Maybe I weakened it then. Anyway, new tank up and old tank out by curb with “Leaks” marked on it. :)

It sounds like you need to shop elsewhere! You can seal a tank with about $2 worth of silicone, You just don't see too many tanks for two bucks. :)
Haha I was thinking big tubes since that's what I'd need. A small one would seal a 10 gallon. Still worth it to just pick a new one up for 10 to 15 bucks

I wouldn’t fix it if silicone were free. A 10G tank is like toilet tissue. Use it as it serves it’s purpose then it’s done. No recycling! Not for 15 bucks. I held a career for 32 years to have the privilege of setting a tank by the curb. One of the few privileges that I can afford. You know you can too. Get yourself a car or airplane model if you want to play with glue. :kana:

That's the trouble with a throw away society. And some things that get made cheaper (and we think we're getting a deal) but they just don't last.
Wish I lived next door - for two bucks worth of sealer, I'd have another 10g tank to breed guppies or grow out a batch of Angel fish fry. :)

That's the trouble with a throw away society. And some things that get made cheaper (and we think we're getting a deal) but they just don't last.
Wish I lived next door - for two bucks worth of sealer, I'd have another 10g tank to breed guppies or grow out a batch of Angel fish fry. :)
357094AB-E541-4DF8-A16C-8B3D765806DB.jpeg

I think I’m missing something. My avatar is my sorority tank. What are you looking at?

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back