Leaking Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I found a pretty good puddle of water around one of my 10G tanks today. Water level still looks about the same though. I checked the seams and sids and nothing. It must be leaking from the bottom. I have a funeral service to attend today. Should it be OK until this evening when I can replace it or could it explode? I’ve never had this happen before.

No need to panic (yet :))
I've never known one to just let go - and if you can't see anything there may be another explanation. You have time to do a proper investigation (but protect your floor in case it continues to drip).

I had a tank where condensation under the lid dribbled down the sides - something to check.

Check all wires and airlines coming out of the tank, also check your filter. Sometimes,, water can escape via osmosis from the above.

Whatever it is, I hope you soon get it sorted.

I wouldn't panic, but definitely have a container or spare tank ready just in case,

The tank will not explode, but if it is indeed leaking, it will continue. check filter and so on to make sure it is indeed the tank, Most tanks will begin to leak from the bottom before anything else. If it is leaking, it is most likely the seal. It's easy to fix, but if this is a standard 10 gallon glass tank, they are so cheap that you are by far better off just buying a new tank.

Thanks, everybody! I dried it all up and watching closely. I do have a 5G for an emergency if needed. I’ll watch the condensation!

I thought for sure one of mine was leaking and it turned out to be the filter wasn't tilted just quite right and there was a slow trickle of water was coming out.

Every owners worst nightmare - I wish you the best!

Thanks, everybody! I dried it all up and watching closely. I do have a 5G for an emergency if needed. I’ll watch the condensation!
Sometimes when my tanks have water around the dogs, its because my filtered was tipped and some spilled out, or, as @essjay said, condensation. :)

If there's sponge filter there will be water splashed up into the lid. My betta's tank has a sponge filter and the glass lid is constantly wet on the underside. In my tank, this glass lid is supported by two plastic strips and the glass is lower than the edge of the tank so water drains back into the tank. If your lid overhangs the sides, water could be finding its way down the outside of the tank.

My lid actually fits into a groove inside the tank. I found the leak. It’s in the right back corner inside the plastic frame. I guess the seam is leaking. I bought a new tank. Just have to get myself to make the change over. ;)

When my 10 gallon appeared to be leaking, I turned off the filter and sponge filter and air pump and let it just sit for 24 hours. No leaking...so I assumed water was coming from "spitting" from sponge filter or air pump stone or clogged filter media causing filter to overflow. I cleaned filter media, adjusted air stone height and restarted. No leaks anymore.

Once I can get it switched over I can look closer. I could have cracked it when syphoning the gravel as they are larger pebbles. All I can think of. The tank is only like 2.5 yeas old.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back