Leaking Tank... Fantastic!

locust267

Fish Crazy
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
387
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Bournemouth, UK
Hi Guys, woke up this morning it appears just in time as my medium tank had just started leaking. Only about an inch of water out of the tank but all over the floor!

Anyway was in a rush but managed to get the fish into containers and float them in the water of the small tank (as large still cycling) and popped the filter media into some dirty water (couldn't remove whole filter yet due to the wires being trapped). I syphoned out as much water I could and then had to go out.

When I returned I finished acclimatising the fish and now they are in the small tank - Overstocked but I have now also added the other filter and will keep testing the water for any spikes.

I had a chance to look at the tank and found that the culprit was in the middle of where the back panel attaches to the bottom panel. No cracks it just seems the silicon had worn away, visibly! I then ran my nail down that silicon and it cut it! Loads just ripped off but this appears to be the only silicon effected within the tank so perhaps upon manufacturing they didn't add enough silicon.

The tank has been running since Jan so has scared me a little at how quickly these things can literally burst now I'm fearful of my 260litre having the same faite!

Anyway I've bought some aquarium silicon but dont really know how to fix it (can make a good guess). Should I removed all the effected silicon and replace it all generously? How can I ensure that the panels are lined up at right angles?

I'd be very grateful if anyone has any tips on fixing a tank as ideally I need to get the fish back in there soon.

Many Thanks

Vicki
 
I would remove all the old silicone and then yep, use bucket loads of new stuff to seal it again - but thankfully never had this happen to me.

Check out the hardware/DIY forum as Im sure Ive seen a pinned topic on this sort of repair :good:

If you've only had the tank since Jan (was it new?) then I would also contact the manufacturer and insist on a replacement tank.

Sorry Vicki, not sure what else to suggest, but good luck, keep us updated :)

Hold on, found the link for ya on repairing the tank : http://www.fishforums.net/content/Aquarium...ir-a-tank-seam/
Hope that helps :)
 
I bought the tank just before Xmas as a pressie to myself lol :blush:

Set it up on Boxing day after getting my vouchers and a shopping spree for all the bits and bobs.

I know there is a guarantee, will try and dig out the paperwork. Only problem is I never send off for the cover etc as never get time and then forget so not sure if it'd valid plus I bought it from Aldi so not sure how easy they make it to claim.

Will check out the DIY section.

Cheers.

Vicki

p.s thanks for link :good:
 
Heck, waltz into Aldi with the broken tank, on a very busy shopping day and state loudly what happened and that you have a bucket full of fish in the car that need a new tank Immediately :angry:
 
Have tried to fix it but it looks a little messy...

Went over to pets at home today and bought a new one, although my hood is to small by about 2mm!!!

Does anyone know of a good website where they have a variety of tank sizes (tank only)?

Vicki
 
hi there viki, oh my god talk about unlucky,,,,
what size tank is this tank? i have a small tank about 18inches, around,,,,,,,,

have you actually finished syliconing it?
maybe i could have a try, never done it before, but iam good at syliconing bathrooms :good:
could be worth a try,, i know the bloke at boscombe always makes tanks by himself
 
Hi, it could of at least happened once the big tank had finished it's cycle huh?

It's 60cmx30cm, I've siliconed the outside and it's just smudged everywhere and to be honest not sure how much I trust a repair job, regardless of how good it's done. Just freaking out about it happening again!

What guy in boscombe you talking about, I could pop in their after I take the pets at home tank back - Typical that their systems were down and the queue was huge then they couldn't except my card as it was solo so got the other half to come up... Now I'm guessing I need to take him back with me as refund will need to go on his card!

All this comes after I ran over a screw so needed a new tyre only to be told the other two needed replacing too, then had to have one of my rats PTS and 2 days later the other one died, lost 2 fish, dropped my dinner all over the floor after spending ages cooking it, computer keeps breaking and then the tank bloody bursts open. Have a feeling a few bills are due soon too... Sorry for rant lol!
 
it depends on what you want to spend,,,,dpfishways has some beautiful tanks in, but if you want a cheapy second hand tank quickly they have some at the cichlid shop next to iceland at boscombe,,sorry modaz!!!!
its an emergency,,,

i have a tank which is just under 60cm,,,,those clearseal tanks, remember the one the bristlenoses are in, maybe i could change them two tanks over and you could take that one?

dont worry we all have are far share of ####e n bills,,,,,

i myslef broke a chair yesterday in lounge, smashed a plate n glass, had a oil leak last week on fuel injection system costing a fair wack, got road tax,water,elec,phone,council tax,maintainence charges for flat all at once :crazy:
 
Cheers for that, I'll call pets at home tomorrow to see if they need the OH present for refund, if not will pop into boscombe on the way back to see what I can find, although might not get a chance til thurs now :crazy:

Really dont need this and neither do the poor fish, all seem happy at the mo and water still good shame it wastes petrol too all this stuff.

I bought a clearseal tank today - Wondering if it's the same model as the one I got was actually 61cm, if yours is 60cm though it should defo fit so let me know how much you want for it if you can defo move the fish out.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top