Leak From Fire Extingiusher, Please Help!

RossC

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I put my FE setup together today but when firing the extinguisher there is a leak thats blowing across my hand. It seems like its from the regulator, I get the feeling it might need a washer to create a better seal between the threads or some PTFE tape?. What do you think?

Fire extinguisher:

Regulator:

FE Hose Removed, note the metal and rubber washers:

PTFE tape normally does the trick.
Make sure its as tight as you can get it. Good way to find where the leak is coming from or if its still leaking after putting the PTFE on would be to dunk it in the sink.

I used PTFE on mine, the regulator looked just like that one, so there shouldn't be an issue, just gives that extra contact.

A washer should sit on that flat edge of the extinguisher (which looks like it wants cleaning)
Strictly speaking I don't think PTFE tape is the answer as it's not really designed for that...but would probably only help the situation. :good:

PTFE tape normally does the trick.
Make sure its as tight as you can get it. Good way to find where the leak is coming from or if its still leaking after putting the PTFE on would be to dunk it in the sink.

I used PTFE on mine, the regulator looked just like that one, so there shouldn't be an issue, just gives that extra contact.
I just tried it but I'm not very experienced with plumbing etc so gonna get my dad to take a look, the tape did reduce the leak drastically but it was still getting though which spotted using the water method :good: Hope this works now it would be perfect if it wasn't for that leak.

A washer should sit on that flat edge of the extinguisher (which looks like it wants cleaning)
Strictly speaking I don't think PTFE tape is the answer as it's not really designed for that...but would probably only help the situation. :good:
The washer on the hose originally sat inside the thread, where do you mean by the flat of the FE? And yer its reconditioned so that explains the dirt lol

The washer on the hose originally sat inside the thread, where do you mean by the flat of the FE?

Ignore the old hose setup, that's different to how we're using it now. Looking inside your regulator nut that brown job is where we need to be sealing now. I can't tell if that is a washer or not, if it isn't that's where you need one. that should seal on the flat front of the FE...

If you were to put your hand flat across the FE outlet that's the surface you're wanting to seal. :good:

I'll have a look at mine when I get home from work tonight, if i can add anything valuable ill post later.

The washer on the hose originally sat inside the thread, where do you mean by the flat of the FE?

Ignore the old hose setup, that's different to how we're using it now. Looking inside your regulator nut that brown job is where we need to be sealing now. I can't tell if that is a washer or not, if it isn't that's where you need one. that should seal on the flat front of the FE...

If you were to put your hand flat across the FE outlet that's the surface you're wanting to seal. :good:
Oh right I understand now :) The thing that is inside is rubber, like a washer but its fixed into the nut, doesn't look big enough to create a seal though. I've looked through the collection of washers I've got and none fit very well so going to have to go shopping. I'll also contact the regulator seller asking for help as surely they should supply it so that it creates this seal anyway :/

I'll have a look at mine when I get home from work tonight, if i can add anything valuable ill post later.
Thank you I'd appreciate all the help I can get :good:

The seller got back to me and said that I have done all he can suggest and its the first issue he's had with these regulators so I accepted his offer for a replacement. Never the less I'll still keep trying to work out a solution to fix this one until the new one comes :)

Give that surface a really good clean. Try to make sure there's nothing raised on it.

Managed to find a rubber washer that fitted perfectly and has cured the leak completely. Its all setup now and working brilliantly. Thanks for all the advice guys it really helped :D :good:

Spoke to soon, came upstairs to find that it was hissing away AGAIN :shout: Just when I thought I'd fixed it

Tried the replacement regulator today and it's still giving em the exact same problem, even with an additional washer and gas graded PTFE tape :shout:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back