🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

StripySnailGirl04

Fish Addict
Reaction score
UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Universe
A few months ago, my frogbit looked like this:
IMG_20220220_150859.jpg
IMG_20220214_114235.jpg

Now, 90% is gone and the remaining is in bad condition. The rosy barbs ate all the roots so that is my main problem.
My current plan of action :
Float a few small tubs in the tank and put frogbit in there, without the interference of the barbs, hopefully the roots will regrow.
Find out if my lights are dimmable. I think the brightness is an issue as well, but a smaller one.

I know that frogbit is supposed to overgrown a tank in a few months, but here, I have the opposite problem. Any tips on saving the plant?

Please bear with me as I get photos of the frogbit now 🙂

Have you tried plant fertiliser such as Flourish Comprehensive?

Have you used salt in the water at any point, this can be detrimental to plants?

How would I use fertiliser on floating plants?

I have never added salt to this particular tank.
Flourish comprehensive is a liquid so the plants would use it via the roots.. You follow the dosage instructions on the bottle each week after a water change. If the plants recover in a few weeks you can then use half dose. Remove carbon if you have it in the filter, it will take the fertiliser out of the water.

Another question, judging by the leaves, is it possible that the frogbit is receiving too much light? My lights seem way too bright and are quite close to the floating plants.
I don't think so. Your anubias looks healthy and they are a low light plant.

Another question, judging by the leaves, is it possible that the frogbit is receiving too much light? My lights seem way too bright and are quite close to the floating plants.
The leaves are a bit yellow and appear to have brown spots or holes in the leaves. 'this indicates your plant need a fertilizer. Otherwise they may die off even if the fish cannot reach it.

Many floating plants are often found in nature in large ponds or lakes with no trees or shad to protect them from the sun. In full mid day summer sun the plants would receive about 20,000 lumens of light. Most aquariums are well below 3000 lumens. Too much light is not your problem. Also floating plants can extract CO2 directly from the air which has 400ppm of CO2. So CO2 is also not a problem. So that leaves you with the fish eating it or lack of nutrients (fertilizer).

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back