Landscaping and plants

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Al1ce

Reaction score
Hi I am just in the process of setting my new tank up, I just ordered some volcanic soil for the plants, I want to half the tank to have a landscape feature, so the other half with be sand, my first question is do I need to cover the soil with gravel or even sand? And which plants would you suggest for a carpet spread, I have guppies, Tetra and corys.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

If the "volcanic soil" is actually a type of soil (as in dirt), it must be covered. Not only does this help prevent fish like corydoras catfish from digging in it, it also may be sharp and harmful to substrate fish.

You will also need to have some sort of permanent barrier if you intend having the soil only in one area. Water movement will mix different substrates, aided by fish activity, and before long it could be quite a mess.

To be honest, I would not use any plant substrate in tanks with fish, especially cories, but with care it can be done.

Carpet plants are not easy. The light is the most important factor, depending uon the species of plants. You also want open areas of sand, lots of it, for the cories to dig into.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFF. :hi:

If the "volcanic soil" is actually a type of soil (as in dirt), it must be covered. Not only does this help prevent fish like corydoras catfish from digging in it, it also may be sharp and harmful to substrate fish.

You will also need to have some sort of permanent barrier if you intend having the soil only in one area. Water movement will mix different substrates, aided by fish activity, and before long it could be quite a mess.

To bee honest, I would not use any plant substrate in tanks with fish, especially cories, but with care it can be done.

Carpet plants are not easy. The light is the most important factor, depending uon the species of plants. You also want open areas of sand, lots of it, for the cories to dig into.

thanks for your reply, do you think I’m best just keeping to the sand then? And just use potted plants

thanks for your reply, do you think I’m best just keeping to the sand then? And just use potted plants

I would use just play sand. But I have no experience or knowledge of the "volcanic soil" you mention. I set up a tank with Flourite plant substrate and regretted it; I had to remove the cories because of the sharpness of the grains, and after letting it run for two years I tore it down as I saw barely any difference plant-wise over play sand.

I would not use pots for plants. The plant roots growing throughout the substrate are good for aerating it and they release oxygen.

What kind of substrate should I use under sand, thanks

What kind of substrate should I use under sand, thanks

None. For 20+ years I had fine gravel in my tanks and all had plants. About 8 years ago I changed them over to play sand on the advice of several sources, and have never regretted doing this.

Presumably your idea of a plant substrate is because one does read here and there that they help plants. Well, not in my experience or that of many others. In a high-tech aqua garden setup with high light and diffused CO2 some sort of enriched substrate might benefit, but not in the average fish tank. It is easy enough to use substrate tabs for larger plants, and/or liquid fertilizer (sparingly).

Photos below are of a couple of my tanks to show it is possible to have healthy thriving plants in just play sand.

Attachments

• 40g April 20-18 (2).JPG
    40g April 20-18 (2).JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 70g Feb 14-16.JPG
    70g Feb 14-16.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 95
It normally says on the packet if you need to cover the volcanic plant soil and if so by how much

None. For 20+ years I had fine gravel in my tanks and all had plants. About 8 years ago I changed them over to play sand on the advice of several sources, and have never regretted doing this.

Presumably your idea of a plant substrate is because one does read here and there that they help plants. Well, not in my experience or that of many others. In a high-tech aqua garden setup with high light and diffused CO2 some sort of enriched substrate might benefit, but not in the average fish tank. It is easy enough to use substrate tabs for larger plants, and/or liquid fertilizer (sparingly).

Photos below are of a couple of my tanks to show it is possible to have healthy thriving plants in just play sand.
Aw your tanks look so healthy and green, by play sand do you mean like what you get in a toy store for like £3 a bag ? I never knew this could be used in aquarium tanks I always thought it had to be a special sand which is why I was prepared to spend more.

Aw your tanks look so healthy and green, by play sand do you mean like what you get in a toy store for like £3 a bag ? I never knew this could be used in aquarium tanks I always thought it had to be a special sand which is why I was prepared to spend more.

Thank you for the kind words. Play Sand is the refined sand sold for children's "sand boxes" if anyone still has actual sand boxes. In North America it is sold in home improvement stores like Home Depot, Lowe's, etc, and might be available from landscape suppliers. It is ordinary sand that is highly refined to make it smooth and not rough. It is ideal in an aquarium because substrate fish have no problems, plants grow very well in it (as a rooting medium, it has no nutrient value), it looks natural, and it enlarges the perception of the tank space. It takes a bit of initial rinsing to get out much of the fine dirt particles, but they are not harmful so I don't fuss too much. It all settles out.

Thank you for the kind words. Play Sand is the refined sand sold for children's "sand boxes" if anyone still has actual sand boxes. In North America it is sold in home improvement stores like Home Depot, Lowe's, etc, and might be available from landscape suppliers. It is ordinary sand that is highly refined to make it smooth and not rough. It is ideal in an aquarium because substrate fish have no problems, plants grow very well in it (as a rooting medium, it has no nutrient value), it looks natural, and it enlarges the perception of the tank space. It takes a bit of initial rinsing to get out much of the fine dirt particles, but they are not harmful so I don't fuss too much. It all settles out.

I cleaned and put the sand in today, very pleased with it, thought I would check if you don’t mind, is the level of sand ok or do I need more? Thanks

Attachments

• 2090757C-1B85-4A09-954E-492E8BD26875.jpeg
    2090757C-1B85-4A09-954E-492E8BD26875.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 75
I cleaned and put the sand in today, very pleased with it, thought I would check if you don’t mind, is the level of sand ok or do I need more? Thanks

That looks fine, it seems about 3 cm in depth maybe? I tend to have this depth over the entire tank, and then when it comes time to aquascape you can push some a bit deeper in the back, though it tends to even out over time.

That looks fine, it seems about 3 cm in depth maybe? I tend to have this depth over the entire tank, and then when it comes time to aquascape you can push some a bit deeper in the back, though it tends to even out over time.
Fab thank you very much

Most reactions

Back