lake victoria cichlids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mostanks

Fish Addict
Reaction score
first,at the moment i only have a spare 29g(can upgrade later if need be)

second-these are the fish i'd like to have

astatotilapia latifasciata
haplochromis sp"fire red"uganda
haplo."salmon" hippo point

can i keep 1 of each OR can i keep any of these in my tank?

if i can house any of them can you give me a lil help as far as care(feeding,aggression,water chemistry etc...)i am a newbie to victorians but i have plenty of exp w/tang and malawi cichlids,are they much different?

thanks

:thumbs:

I'm selling a trio of hippo points on ebay. Wish I'd known.
I have kept them in a 20 high for the last year with no problems. I take the male out when both females are keeping eggs or take out the one if the other doesn't have any.

:X i should've asked sooner,how big are they?did you have any problems w/them at all in that tank?

Sorry I didn't answer all your questions last night. The kids were burning a pizza in the oven.
I'm not familiar with the other vic's. I have kept obliquidens and hippo points.
The obliquidens male was in a 75 with psuedo's and melanochromis and when his female was in the tank he tried to bully everyone. Though they paid him no attention.
The hippo point male looks aggressive when breeding but he has never hurt the females he is in with. I used to have an other male with them but I took him out.
When I would take the male out while the female were holding eggs, I would put him with a bunch of peacock grow outs. He would lose his color and just spend the time blending in.
When he goes back to the females, his color comes back and his aggression does too. But as far as vic's go he isn't as aggressive as some.
I don't know what would happen if you kept just males of different species together though. I assume one male would come out on top and the others would cower. That's why I liked keeping the obliquidens with other africans. They could care less who he was.
To show how aggressive some can be, my obliquidens fry were fighting when they were less than half and inch long.

:eek: wow fry that size already showing aggression,i don't know why i thought the vics would be any different :unsure:
thanks for sharing your story angel,i gotta go back to the ol'drawing board now :p

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back