Kuhli/yoyo loaches

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lady Di

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyome has kept kuhlis and yoyos together? I would like to move my kuhlis into my 55 gallon where my yoyos are but ive read conflicting information on our sites. So ive come to the people with knowledge🙂. Would this be okay or would my kuhlis be a snack for yoyos? Thanks in advance!!

I've kept them together and at least during the day i've not observe any issues but who knows what goes on at night. The thing is that my tank is rather heavily planted and these days i rarely see either the yoyos or the kuhli so i can not say if any have died et all. They've been together for about 18 months; the yoyo were petco purchases (turned into a combination of yoyo and gold zebra); they are pretty much adult sizes now. I had a filter blockage recently (long story) and a couple of the yoyo died then but i still have 2 or 3 from the original 8 (the gold zebra of the group all jumped one day - i have no reason what triggered it - it was during a water change when water is clean but maybe the increase in current triggered some reaction). I also have clown and zebra loaches so they mix with them and I've decided not to buy more yoyo as i prefer both the clowns and zebra.

Last edited:
It's preferable to only keep one species of loach per tank because they are territorial and don't like other species coming into their territory.

Yoyo loaches (Botia lohachata) will cause problems to the khulis when the yoyos are mature.

Hum. are you sure with regards to territory issue. I know some loaches are very territorial and aggressive like the red tail but for example the clown loaches never chase the zebra or yoyo out of their caves and the yoyo has no issue sleeping next to the clown loach. Also the kuhli obviously are not territorial they also seem to avoid those fishes that are territorial (that I have).

Khulis don't cause problems but most other loaches will fight with different species when kept under natural conditions. This means having a decent sized group of them (10 or more) and letting them develop their pecking order. If you only have 1 yoyo and 1 clown loach, they will probably hang out together because they need the company. :)

i have 10 zebra; 7 clown; 2 to 4 yoyo. Btw the clowns don't hang out together; they tend to scatter to different part of the aquarium; but at night they will come together and glass surf. I have somewhere between 8 and 14 kuhli.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back