Koi babies, what do we do!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello! Went down to the koi pond this morning and there are several baby koi! Totally unexpected. What do we do with them!

It is a 1,500 gallon pond, lots of plants. There’s a pump, should we cover it or anything so they don’t get sucked up?

Covering the pump wouldn't be a bad thing but I'd just let them do their thing! Would love to see some pics if you could get some!

Will the parents eat them?

I have no idea, but if it's heavily planted, some would make it to adulthood, I would guess
I've kept and bred koi as well in the past. Kept the baby koi separate from the adults. I had several tubs where those baby koi grew up. And then they went to my mud pond. And what seemed interesting after a while in the mud pond went to the big pond. At that size, the big ones would leave them totally alone.
koi mix5 stan.jpg

Covering the pump wouldn't be a bad thing but I'd just let them do their thing! Would love to see some pics if you could get some!
For sure! I’m away from the house today, but when I get home I’ll go peek at them and get a picture

I've kept and bred koi as well in the past. Kept the baby koi separate from the adults. I had several tubs where those baby koi grew up. And then they went to my mud pond. And what seemed interesting after a while in the mud pond went to the big pond. At that size, the big ones would leave them totally alone.
View attachment 145209
Ohhhhhh ok. So should we set up a grow out tank of sorts? I believe we have an old horse trough about 50 gallons

Ohhhhhh ok. So should we set up a grow out tank of sorts? I believe we have an old horse trough about 50 gallons
That's what I would do.
I've put small sticklebacks (2-3cm) in the big pond once that some girls from the neighbourhood caught for me. I thought they were a nice addition for my pond, but they got eaten in no time by those adult koi. A one time experience...

That's what I would do.
I've put small sticklebacks (2-3cm) in the big pond once that some girls from the neighbourhood caught for me. I thought they were a nice addition for my pond, but they got eaten in no time by those adult koi. A one time experience...
Ohhhhh ok. I will look into setting up a growout tub

Ok so we finally were able to find the babies as the pond plants started to die off for the cold weather. We brought them inside and set up a 10 gallon tank to grow them out in over the winter. I am keeping up on the water quality. There are three little babies! Found the little grey one today. Just want to double check, these are koi right? Not goldfish?
488315D9-DECC-48AD-9C16-737200252F04.jpeg
82946C3A-A0E0-457F-BDAA-750806C397FA.jpeg

Koi have 2 little whiskers on the bottom jaw. Goldfish don't have whiskers.
Oh ok thank you. How long does it take baby koi to grow the whiskers, or are they just born with them?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back