Knife Fish Be Alright In This Tank?

CTlovesKS

Fish Herder
Joined
Apr 26, 2009
Messages
1,124
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Dorset
Hello Guys its coming up to my and my boyfriends 10 months and Ive been a little bit of a ***** towards him the last couple of days and wanted to make it up to him. I was going to buy him a Knife Fish as he has always wanted one but hasnt got round it buying it yet lol.

His tank curently has
1 Flying Fox
3 Blue Gouramis
4 Mixed Tetras
6 Different Corys
2 plecos
5 Catfish (Synos)
2 Clown Loach
and 1 male dwarft chilid.

Would a knife fish be alright in this tank.

Its a 3 foot bowed front tank (aqua one - 8R 850)
 
The AR 850 is a 165 litre tank I believe and that's far too small for a knifefish realistically, let alone with all the other fish in there. It's overstocked as it is really (5 synos and 2 clown loaches?!) and the knifefish should really be kept in a 60+gallon tank. I'm no knife expert, but I'm pretty sure adding a knifefish in there would be a seriously bad idea :/
 
As far as I can tell, they just need a lot of swimming space because they exercise like mad, and they go psycho tetchy and sociopathically dangerous to other fish if they're in cramped quarters.
 
They need alot of room because they can grow to anywhere between 18-24"

you will prob need to rehome the clown loaches at some point in the future as they need a 300l minimum as they can grow over 10"

Andy
 
Yes we know we have to rehome the Clown Loach at some point. It was just a friend of ours was giving them away due to not having a tank any longer, and was either us or LFS so we took them at that minute. What I dont get is our mate had a 3Ft normal rectualr tank with a

Knife fish and serval big fish and his tank was smaller then my boyfriends.

so what else do you say We could put in there?

Yes i know it is over stocked will talk him into getting ride of some of his bottom feeders
 
What I dont get is our mate had a 3Ft normal rectualr tank with a

Knife fish and serval big fish and his tank was smaller then my boyfriends.

I have friend with koi in a 60 gallon pond just because it can be done doesn't mean it should. Can't really help you on the showpiece fish front a large cichlid perhaps a flowerhorn (it would grow to large eventually as they need 200L min as adults but by that time you could get a 300L and keep the clown loaches and got a knifefish)
 
what kind of knifefish are you talking about?

no matter what type not with the fish you have already and even an african knife would grow to big for a 3ft
 
didnt relsie you got different types of knife fish... I was general one about any knife fish in that case lol
 

Most reactions

Back
Top