Killifish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Loko17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Ok well I went into my favorite LFS today and was just lookin around when I found in 2 of the tanks they had a few Killi's. I read up on them and I keep bettas and I have an extra filter for a 2 gallon and up tank and the store has a 2.5 gallon tank for like nothing so I was thinking I'm going tomorrow to get the tank and one killi. I just need to know what type they are. The tank was labeled something Gardenari and the killi's were really small and were whitish blue with red spots. When I know what they are then I will need to know info on them, ex: tank size, food, etc. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Killi fish are classed as oddballs BTW.

As for the species - gardneri?

I have 2 colour variaties, they need tanks 12"x8"x8" minimum I was told so 3.5g for a pair.

Food lot's of worms, brine shrimp etc.

:good:

Can I just keep one by itself in a 2.5 gallon tank?

I'm not sure of the deminsions but I think it was around 12 inches tall, 14 inches long, and 8 inches wide, just a guess but I think that was about how big it was.

Well then thats not right, What would you say is the right demensions of a 2.5 gallon that you can keep a lone male killi in? Now that I get out a tape measure and look at real measurements it was more like 12x6x8. Would that be ok?

I have a 2.5g tanks with those dimensions i don't use it for killi's as it's only 6" wide and 8" tall if it was the other way round it would be able to keep 2 killi's in.

Also if you get 2 you will need to make sure it's male and female.

I wouldn't keep a male killi on it's on but that's just me really.

Why wouldnt you keep a lone male? Really the only reason I just want to keep one is because If they lay eggs I'd feel entitled to take care of them and because at my lfs they are like $10 a piece and I'm short on money.

Personally because I think they behave alot different with females and it's a waste to keep one on it's own. Also if your short of money getting a pair and breeding them could make you quite abit if they are selling for $10 each by you.

Ok, in that tanks deminsions that I mentioned, would it be ok to get a pair? and I cant believe I didnt think of that on my own, I would make quite a bit of money.

As long as it's L12"xW8"xH6" i'd say it's fine for a pair. I reccomend a simple sponge filter aswel and regular water changes of 50% twice a week.

Could I use a filter that I already have for a 2 gallon and up tank thats 16gph?

Ok, I'm probably gonna go get them soon. Peace

Most reactions

trending

Back