Killifish - What is on its mouth? (pic)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

joanjettson

Reaction score
Request Help - I am wondering what this is and how to treat it. Or should I leave it alone? Thanks for your help.

Tank size: 25 gallon Cube
pH: 6.5
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 10
kH: ? New York City - I use StressCoat / StressZyme
gH: ?
tank temp: 78 F

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): For over 10 days, this one fish has a little clear/whitish string hanging from lip. It seems like peeling skin, like a chapped lip. I thought it went away, reduced to just a small dot on his lip all week, but this morning it's back to being a string. He's a little smaller than his buddy, and he's less active (calm not distressed), and seems to be eating in spite of this little problem. Otherwise healthy. All other fish healthy, though the Pleco had a film on his eyes in December that I treated as fungus and it cleared up. I was traveling for two weeks, and upon return noticed all fish doing well EXCEPT for this lip issue with the Killifish.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 25% change every 3 days

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: I treated with Pimafix and Maracyn 2 thinking it was fungus or bacteria.

Tank inhabitants: Live plants and 12 creatures - A big pleco, 3 cories, a loach, 2 honey gouramis, 3 Von Rio Tetras, 2 Killifish

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): none

Exposure to chemicals: None

Digital photo (include if possible):

Attachments

• IMG_20200118_081218.jpg
    IMG_20200118_081218.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 63
I have the same issue with my neons as well as @Deanasue

The killifish seems to be back to normal. Maybe he just had an injury from slopping eating. Good luck with the neons, they are so fragile!

I clipped the other one off the other side of mouth today. My fear is that they’ll grow back if it’s a virus.

Oh I hope not

just looks like a damaged lip, possibly from fighting with another male.

do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.

monitor it for secondary infections (white and fluffy is fungus. red and inflamed is bacterial).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back