Killer Fish

moll

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
176
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NE England
I'm devastated Hubby bought 4 Honey Gouramis for our community tank, well we had one guppy die yesterday morning no clue why, we were doing a water change last night and after we were talking looking at the tank and I asked where blue my fave male guppy was went over he was in the plants with a shredded fin and tail while we were watching the gouramis started to attack him so he was quickly moved to be treated with melafix, I was sorting him and hubby shouted that they had started on the other male so I removed him as well Blue had died so they have killed 2 yesterday and 1 is hanging on just.

Now I've never known this before, everything I've heard and read said they could go together and they were ideal tank mates.

Any ideas what to do next.

Edit for spelling
 
Honey gourami's can be nasty little fish... so I've heard. Never kept them personally but I have seen on TFF people talk about them. what sized tank is this?
 
Hiya,

In most cases honey gourami's are great community fish and will happily live in harmony with other species, but there are an occasional few that are nasty little efforts and will terrorise your tank (as you've found out :() I honestly think your best option is to either find them a separate tank where they can live alone, or return them to the shop where they were bought from and explain exactly what has happened. Recently a friend had a similar experience with honey G's and the fish they returned was replaced with a more docile one.

Good luck getting it sorted, I'm really sorry about your guppies though :(

Take care,
Jo
 
if the gourami's are not in male-female pairs then they may become territorial and aggressive. also the size of the tank may be an issue.

sorry about your guppies! very sad :(
 
Its a 200l tank it looks like we have 2 males and 2 females

I'm thinking take them back but they have left the others alone

We have 4 platys and 2 female guppies left so restocking sugestions please

I want a dozen flame tetras but that is the only thing I'm sure on.
 
any gourami's can be a bit fiesty. i'm increasingly of the opinion that the dwarf's and honesy's aren't really worth bothering with...... still got a fondnes for sparkling and chocolate gourami's though.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top