The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khald

Reaction score
Hi!
my husband snuck in a 100ltr fish tank whilst i was at work (after 10 years of me saying no) and heā€™s quickly become overzealous with buying fish at the fish stores advice over the last 5 months the tank has been set up.
he currently has an all male tank consisting of 12 cardinal tetras, 4 leopard danios, 2 opaline gouramiā€™s, 1 pleco, 2 Giant african blue shrimp, 5 clown loach... he did have 5 guppyā€™s and 3 Mollies in there but weā€™ve took them out and put them in a 25ltr tank because the clown loach started to nip and kill the guppyā€™s .
We did go back to the fish store that sold us the loach to try and give them back after getting a second opinion, who said loach grow to a very big size and are just not suitable for the size of our tank but they kept reassuring us it would take years for them to grow, so now weā€™re a bit confused and wondering if they just wanted to make money off us instead of giving us the best advice for the welfare of all our fish.
So far 1 loach has killed 2 guppyā€™s and has started to nip at 1 of the smaller danios. The tank is set up with real plants, drift wood and rock formations and has a 20% water change once a week then ph is checked and runs at 25Ā°.
I guess my question is should we take back the loaches ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 101
Definitely, return the loaches. They are obviously under stress already, this is only going to get worse.

This species is one that should never be available in stores becausse it is not suited to the average home aquarium. There was a moveement within the hobby to make it mandatory that such species could only be acquired by those whop know the requirements and can provide them. I don't know where this movement is now, but I have not seem anything for a couple years so it probably died out. As in other things, money talks, but animal welfare takes a back seat. There are stores that will sell you anything.

We thought as much, husband has had a big telling off for getting them on a whim and insistence from the original store he went to! Thank you for your replies. Iā€™ll be sure to ask any advice on here in future

The loaches have been returned thanks for the help everyone
Is there any recommendations on what or if we could replace them with anything?

The loaches have been returned thanks for the help everyone
Is there any recommendations on what or if we could replace them with anything?

Good work. Now to the future...

Above, these fish were listed:
12 cardinal tetras, 4 leopard danios, 2 opaline gouramiā€™s, 1 pleco, 2 Giant african blue shrimp, 5 clown loach... he did have 5 guppyā€™s and 3 Mollies in there but weā€™ve took them out and put them in a 25ltr tank because the clown loach started to nip and kill the guppyā€™s.

This is a 100 liter (25 gallon) tank, what are the dimensions (length and width particularly)? And what are the water parameters of your source (tap) water, namely GH and pH?

Last edited:
20 gallons for Clown Loaches is doable if THEY are the primary fish. They and Danio's would be ok. Now,for best care,Clown Loaches need a very large aquarium as they can get up to 6" and more. Wild ones are sold up to 12"+..those are for experts,who feed live worms and all the best of the rest. Plus,they are being bred in Florida..why the many small ones for sale. Give wild Borneo fish's a break from extinction.
I have three young ones 2-3" in my 240 gallon. I've had them before and found they are among the longest lived fish you can keep. They also once acclimated to their home appear to be really disease resistant.
I might even add a few more...as when they move all together?... THATS color.

Tank is 60x45x45cm ph 7-7.5 gh 9 but was done for us at the start and weā€™re told this wouldnā€™t change greatly if using the same water source when doing water changes

Tank is 60x45x45cm ph 7-7.5 gh 9 but was done for us at the start and weā€™re told this wouldnā€™t change greatly if using the same water source when doing water changes
Too small.. clown loaches get up to 12" and need a 100 gallon tank or ideally a pond.
20 gallons for Clown Loaches is doable if THEY are the primary fish.
I have to disagree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back