Keeping Aphyosemion Australe?

Asteria

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I came across this fish having not even heard or knew of it until after i bough some a while back.
I had both a male and female, but sadly lost the male due to my sister putting her hands into the tanks.
Though i still have the female, shes doing okay but i feel bad for her.

Whats the best tank size and setup for them, im hoping to buy another tank and keep some togther
If i can the tank will either be 60ltr or 100ltr.
How many could i keep in this size of a tank?
Can males be kept together also?
I would really love to keep and possibly breed some of these, i really miss the male and i hope i can come across some again

Hi Asteria,
Here is an article I wrote some time ago
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/280784-care-and-breeding-of-aphyosemion-australe/
Regards
C

Thanks I had a read through it before and found it very useful.
I'm guessing a 60lrt is big enough for them though I think I will down it do 40 with a divider as I need to seperate some fish out.
It will just be them in the tank.

I currently have some in a 30L tank so as long as you are on top of the water quality and have a tight fitting lid you should be fine.

Cheers,

Awesome :D
I just got a tank with a real heavy lid and fits tightly so shall be good
just got to find some now

Just got to find some now
Where abouts are you in Holland, reason being the KFN (Killifish Nederland)
http://www.killifishnederland.nl/
is about to hold their annual convention at the beginning of September...details below.

The KFN organises her 36th International Killifish Show from Friday the 2nd of September till Sunday the 4th of September 2011.
The exhibition is held in: Party Centrum/ hotel De Schildkamp
Leerdamseweg 44
Asperen (Leerdam)
Tel 0345618814 Fax 0345630417

http://www.killifishnederland.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69%3Ainternational-killifish-show-2010&catid=21%3Aengels&Itemid=1

As you can see these include, lecturers, show, sale of killifish etc.
You can pay to enter on a daily basis.
Check on what day they will be auctioning fish. Sunday is usually best as they auction off all the show fish.
There will surely be A. australe on the list.

Sadly I cannot attend this years Dutch convention, but it is a fantastic weekend if your into Killifish

For further details of the KFN Convention, contact my good friend Janwillem Hoetmer (KFN Chairman)
[email protected]
Regards
BigC

Oh wow that should be awesome o_O

Shame i live way up north :/

its 2 hours away, but i really want to go, both days it says there is an auction

It would be well worth the effort, believe me.
As I said I cannot attend this year, due to financial constraints but it's not to be missed.
You will see fish that only will be apparent to you from books or internet searches.
It is one of the better conventions.
Jeeez, I wish I was going now! :lol:
Both auctions are equally good
Saturday see's some general and rare species being sold where as on Sunday they auction off the show fish. You can go around the tanks and make a note of what you are after and then bid for them in the auction. You may take home a first place prize pair.
Looking at last years list I have in front of me, there was many A. australe that sold, so you will find them there.
If your having trouble locating this species and cannot attend the convention, still email Janwillem he will direct you to a breeder, he may even have some himself.
Anyway if you do decide to attend please let us know how you got on. (but do take some money with you) :good:
Regards
C

I will do my best to make it there, and if im correct i will be paid in time so shall have 200 euros to take with me :D
and the Bf who will add to that with like 500 euros +
shall be a good day and the tank shall be ready for them by then :D

Most reactions

trending

Back