Keeping A Tank Cycled.

divegirl

Fishaholic
Joined
May 20, 2009
Messages
600
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
GB
Hi, I've just become the proud owner of my third tank [Cheers Mel!!!], but now I need to go away for a couple of days as my Dad is ill :sad: , the tank is fully cycled and I'm not going to get the chance to get any fish in for a few days.....so how do I keep it cycled? Will putting a stocking with some flakes in keep it going? I'm not going to be here for any maintenance [sp].....so any advice will be gratefully recieved. I could put a fish or two in from my other tank, but don't really have the time to net them.

Lisa x
 
Hi, I've just become the proud owner of my third tank [Cheers Mel!!!], but now I need to go away for a couple of days as my Dad is ill :sad: , the tank is fully cycled and I'm not going to get the chance to get any fish in for a few days.....so how do I keep it cycled? Will putting a stocking with some flakes in keep it going? I'm not going to be here for any maintenance [sp].....so any advice will be gratefully recieved. I could put a fish or two in from my other tank, but don't really have the time to net them.

Lisa x

If its an internal filter you could chuck it in another tank. If not... sinking tablets will work well as they disolve slowly.

How long are you oging away for?

andrew
 
it should be okay mate, just ask your dad put put a tiny pinch in every day =)

or just put some in before you leave, it should be fine!
 
Since it's not your tank that cycles, really only the filter, just transfer your filter to the most heavily stocked tank out of the two you have , and leave it running on that tank alongside it's current filter until your are ready to put fish in the new tank.

It will save you a lot of hassle and you won't have to "feed" te tank with ammonia or fish food,since your stocked tank with it's continual fish waste will do the job for you.
 
Lisa can't you put some fish from another tank in there? Sorry to hear about your dad hun hope he be okies xxx
 
it should be okay mate, just ask your dad put put a tiny pinch in every day =)

or just put some in before you leave, it should be fine!


How is her dad going to add food when he is the one sick and the reason she has to leave.

I asked this pretty much same question the other day. besides getting a friend to add ammonia to the tank everyday. You could try the prawn. put it in a sock or net and let it sit.

Or I like the idea of putting the filter on an established tank while your gone. That's a good one too.

good luck with that and hope your dad gets better. :flowers:
 
it should be okay mate, just ask your dad put put a tiny pinch in every day =)

or just put some in before you leave, it should be fine!


How is her dad going to add food when he is the one sick and the reason she has to leave.

I asked this pretty much same question the other day. besides getting a friend to add ammonia to the tank everyday. You could try the prawn. put it in a sock or net and let it sit.

Or I like the idea of putting the filter on an established tank while your gone. That's a good one too.

good luck with that and hope your dad gets better. :flowers:

jeeez sorry :blink:

i misread it, i thought it said

"i have to go away for a few days and my dad is ill"

sorry my bad! :blush:
 
Thanks for your replies....I'm afraid I didn't get time to do more than add some flakes in a pop sock :blink: ....I'm going back home tonight and I'll test my levels....if they're still OK I'll put some fish in from another tank.

Lisa x
 
it should be fine for a few days although for the time it took to boot up your computer and write on here you could have transferred some fish from your other tank.
 
Thanks for that helpful reply..... but it's a little hard to sort your tank out when you're 50 miles away from it!!!!! As much as I love my fish caring for my dying father is alittle more important to me at the moment. Ever heard of laptops?
 
it should be fine for a few days although for the time it took to boot up your computer and write on here you could have transferred some fish from your other tank.

Um Johnny, think before you speak dude, you don't the circumstances and it's pretty obvious Lisa could be typing that from anywhere in the world.

Hope you're ok Lis x
 
Hi Mel, I fine thanks hun.....just a little emotionally drained :blink: Hope your Dad's OK too.....he's a lovely guy! Should be home in a couple of hours and I have told my son to turn the heater off in the tank....if the levels are ok I have a neighbour willing to lend my a couple of baby goldies [they'll be easier to catch than my Zebra Dannios :lol: ].....it should only be for a few days and then I can get it sorted out properly.

Lisa x
 
Ha my dad just left here hobbling about and ooo-ing and aahh-ing in pain, he's a plonker because he won't lay still, he's got ants in his pants! Good idea about the goldfish, hope everything works out well for ya x
 

Most reactions

Back
Top