Kayaking

chishnfips

WHAT! You went over my Helmet!
Reaction score
Hi folks, I am starting to think about getting into kayaking. I have been researching it alot on the net but I am still none the wiser about which kayak I should get, I want an all round one.

One that is good for white water (only tame white water), one good for paddling around on lochs and maybe the odd sea trip, and one thats good for rivers. Plus I am like 6ft 2 and need a boat that I can easily fit into for a length of time.

The ones I have been looking at all seem to have their fortes but none seem to be a good all rounder.

Does anyone know about whats a good boat to get and any other info in general would be cool.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Puh, only just seen this post. Did you get your kayak?
I think the problem you have is that river runners and sea kayaks are designed to be very different - sea kayaks (incl lochs in that) are designed to go fast in a straight line, whereas river kayaks need to be far more nimble. They are generally far far easier to turn and the like.
You're unlikely to find anything that is both fast and designed to keep a straight course and manoeverable enough for white-water.
Did you get one though? tell all!!! I have a MethodAir which I LOVE.

my brother wanted the exact same thing from his boat and he ended up getting a pirahhna I:4 and he loves it. If you want any more info i will try my best to answer, send us a PM if you want
Hope this helps
Rich

oops just realised how old this thread was lol

haha yeah it is old, but hey! why not resurrect it! I am just about to get a kayak for x mas (I have been kayaking for years) and I am getting a Method Air... I love the shorter freestyle kayaks because they move so easily. I have never rode a sea kayak only because I think they look dorky...

PS I am 6'2 and I fit perfectly in a freestyle kayak.

ooh, did you get the Method Air? That's what I have, I got it in the summer. Absolutely love it. I'm also pretty tall (6ft, tall for a girl anyhow)and find it pretty comfy. It's great for learning to surf on too, long enough to have some speed, but still really nimble.

thank god I got a reply I posted this about 8 months ago or something, slightly shocked to see its back up the front lol.

No I haven't got one yet, I am still looking, one thing lead to another and I have put it on hold but I am still interested in buying one. So would a freestyle kayak be ok for the odd paddle round a loch as well?

The only thing with a true playboat is that the short design means they just don't have the speed. A "river-running playboat" like the MethodAir is longer than most "true" playboats, and is therefore better for going down rivers rather than playing on waves etc, also better for surfing in the sea, just because it is that bit longer and therefore that bit faster. It's also good for beginners (like me!) as it has a wide, flat bottom (like me!!) and gentle edges, so they're less likely to "catch" when you're manoevering. There are plenty of similar boats, that's just the one I have.
Assuming you don't intend to do white water above a garde 2/3 you could maybe think about something like the Dagger Approach - that's advertised as being dual purpose, and may be more suitable. I don't know much about it though.
It also depends a bit on what the people you'll be paddling with have - if they use faster boats, then you'll want to be able to keep up! Equally, if they use smaller boats, then you'll want to be able to use same water as them - e.g. in terms of getting into smaller eddies etc.
Are you a member of your local canoe club? They will generally have boats you can borrow for trips etc, then you can get a feel for what you like. Or try looking for canoe shops which have demonstration models available. I'd really recommend joining one if you possibly can.

ps - No, no basketball for me. I've nowhere near enough coordination for that!!

I am not in a canoe club yet I missed the joining period last year so hopefully this year I will be able to join, I suppose there is no point in getting a kayak until I know what it is like to paddle all the different types

Most reactions

Back