Juwel Lighting

Waterloo Kid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Just curious about the reliability of the lighting systems that come with Juwel tanks. I have had mine for 6 months and it just gave up yesterday with a loud popping noise.
Has anyone else had this problem? I'm a tad worried about the heater/filter now! :(

WK

Its a common problem with juwel tanks and particually with the larger tanks from the Rio range,i have had to replace every electrical part of my rio 300 due to faults.
Juwel have admited this problem is a design fualt and will replace the part free of charge with no problems,just take the whole light system back to the retailer you got it from and you should have a new lighting system within a week,the only trouble is it then leaves you without a lid because the hood flaps interlock with the light system so you will have to get a board or something to cover the tank.

Interesting! How long has this been the case with these tanks? Surely if there are known issues then they should be designed out over a relatively short period of time. A replacable protective fuse or something should be fitted as a matter of course anyhow in my opinion! I paid top money for what I thought at the time was a neatly designed unit. Now, after learning that there have been long running problems, I feel just a little bit cheated! Any idea if other tank manufacturers have this attitude to design flaws? Let's hope Juwel don't turn their hand to nuclear submarine building! I can see it now.......
'Yes, we knew about the reactor weakness but we'll replace it free of charge'

Hmmm......

WK

lol WK :lol: :D

Had my 400 for nearly 3 years and no problems except the heater (which was just a fuse - I think during WCs when the water level got too low :/ )

Still one of the best looking tanks imo...

:)

I have a Juwel aquarium and my lights failed after 13 months. Was told by Customer Services that it was out of warranty and would have to buy another for £60 :sad: :sly: :sad:

Obviously not happy about that. They stated that I should have changed the seals on the unit as they eventually fail and let condensation and water into the sealed unit. Sounded as though they knew it was a problem. :angry:

Didn't buy a new Juwel lighting system. Built my own hood and light twin light system to replace the Juwel set up.

Juwel - great tanks and cabinets but don't like their supplied lights or filter systems. Have foud Fluval internal and external canister filters to be my favourite.

I have a small Juwel as well and want to change the hood to support 2 lights. Nik, can you let me know how you built the hood?

Dubby

Quite easy really. I have a large Juwel Vision. The hood has a sealed central unit where the light start/unit was held and twin lights attached to this central unit. I cut open the central unit using a heated modelling knife and disconnected the unit. I bought an Arcadia Light Starter unit and linked this into the existing lights and secured the started unit within the bottom cabinet. Where the central unit is now emtpy I have considered adding a 3rd - smaller actinic light to give the tank a blue/marine style tinge as I have done in some of my other tanks.

For me this was a better option than buying another sealed Juwel unit. Which in effect is like buying a new hood. The Juwel Vision hood is one central unit connected to a front and back pivoting lid.

Hope that helps or gives you some ideas? :thumbs:

Nik:

Thanx. Thats what I was thinking of doing as well. I have a Juwel Rekord and it has only one tube. So I was thinking of opening the sealed unit and placing a second tube there and taking the ballast and starter unit outside to power 2 tubes.

I doubt if the existing ballast will drive 2 tubes, so I may have to buy another one :(

Glad to hear someone has done it successfully. If I get stuck doing the DIY I know whom to ask :D

Most reactions

Back