The biggest thing to me is that fish in nature experience large changes in pH very quickly. Rainwater usually is very different than the body of water the fish lives in, but fish don't die during a sudden downpour of rain. I've seen ponds with fish living in them more than triple in size with a good summer afternoon downpour, and they don't all end up as floaters. The pH of bodies of water with aquatic plants can change thrughout the day as the sun comes out or behind clouds. The plant activity, consuming CO2 is probably the big one, can change the pH more than a full unit over the course of a day. The sun's heating the pond also changes the pH via temperature effects. If the body of water is large, like the Rift Lakes in Africa, there are significant pH gradients in the water.
pH is usually far, far too worried about in this hobby, I think. I don't quite know why this misconception is so hard to shake. Maybe because the test for pH is significantly easier to perform than the hardness ones? Maybe because we all remember testing various liquid with a fistful of litmus strips in grade school -- and hearing how a pH of 7 is neutral. I just don't know why pH is so stressed and by comparison hardness is neglected.