Just Bought Some Snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LacertaIlla

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I've just been and bought 3 mystery snails from my LFS.

All 3 snails have this hard...cap like thing on them in their shell...

IMG_20160509_123307.jpg

Is that normal?

Thanks,
Blue

Is that normal?
Yes.

Do you know how to look after them? Whats you water like? In soft acidic water these snails suffer from shell erosion, They also need to be fed, They don't just eat algae.

The guy at the pet store said they eat algae and a little bit of fish food that falls to the bottom, however I know that's not entirely true.

On Wednesday I plan on going and getting a water test kit and some algae wafers, I already have sinking fish pellets and some vegetables (lettuce (won't be fed often), cucumber, carrot, dandelion greens etc) I will be giving them when they come out of their shell. Once I know my water parameters if I need to put in a calcium supplement I will.

The guy at the pet store said they eat algae and a little bit of fish food that falls to the bottom, however I know that's not entirely true.
Actually he isn't far off the mark, as long as there is enough food dropping to the bottom. A Mystery Snail diet also should include combinations of bottom feeder tablets, pellets, fish flakes, and algae wafers to help provide a balanced diet.

I feed mine fresh veggies also, they just love zucchini, squash, leaf lettuce and iceberg lettuce.

You could also make snelo for them, They love this stuff.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/snello-snail-jello-and-calcium-block-recipes-for-feeding-pet-aquatic-snails.47516/

How big is your tank?

I can't access the link, apparently my IP address is banned o_O.

The tank is 405 litres (104 gallons), but its only just over half full due to only having one fish in there (a Bala Shark) at the moment.

There is often food on the bottom of the tank (honestly, no matter how little food I put in there, Bruce just doesn't seem interested in eating it all) so I don't think they will have much of a shortage of it.

The tank is 405 litres (104 gallons),
Ok they will be fine, Do sharks eat snails?

This is the batch I made.

I used Atisons betta pro, New life spectrum pellets, Tropical flake, Carnivore flake, Crushed Loach wafer's, Crushed Algae wafers, Blood worm, Brine shrimp.

Mix it all in a plastic container with a bit of water, In another plastic container add 1 gelatin leaf pour on boiling water and stir till gelatin is dissolved, combine container one and two mix well pour onto plate and let it set, cut it into small cubes put in plastic container and put into freezer, feed as needed.
sdibfk.jpg

PS.

Memo to self, Do not use the wifes dinner plate next time. She went nuts.

NickAu said:
Ok they will be fine, Do sharks eat snails?

To my knowledge, no, and Bruce hasn't really seemed interested in the snails (yet).

That is really cool actually, its just a bunch of fish food mixed with gelatin yes? If so I'll definitely give it a go sometime.

Most reactions

Back