Just announcing 2 new cories to my tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

snowyangel

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
just became an american *play dramatic music*
So it being pay day i went and bought 2 more pepper cories(with metallic green) to hangout with my other two young cories. I'm hoping i finally have a pair or some males and females together. My new ones are much lighter, almost silver compared to my other dark golden pepper ones. I'll post pics up after they settle in. Hopefully I'll finally be able to tell the sexes apart :rolleyes:

Hi snowyangel :)

Congratulations on the new corys. :thumbs:

How do they compare in size with the ones you already have? Are they playing together yet? :unsure:

Hi, it's cool to see you've got more corys :D , their much happier in a group. If you've got males and females you may have loads more little ones soon!

Good luck!

What is the best number of corys to keep together? Ihave added 3 bronze to my new tank and they all seem to get on ok but 2 always swim around together and 1 tends to hang around on its own most of the, just sometimes swimming with them- does it need its own friend? -_-
I would hate it to get lonely! Its not bullied by the other 2.

Yay !!!! More cories in happy homes, I am so happy for you. I am glad to hear that you got more of them, they are the cutest fishies. LOL Hopefully you have a pair in there now and will soon be posting about eggs.LOL How are they all getting along?

Lisa F, I also have bronze cories, and mine do the same thing. I presently have 4 full grown and a load of fry. My full grown seperate into groups of 2, then return to play together. If you have the room in your tank, I would say why not another one.LOL It seems to me, that the more there are in there, the happier and more playful they are. Good luck
Sandy

thanks sandy, I think I might get anoyhrt 1 as there is plenty of space! They are great to watch and really inquisitive- always at the friont of the tank watching whats going on :)

Inchworm said:

Congratulations on the new corys. :thumbs:

How do they compare in size with the ones you already have? Are they playing together yet? :unsure:
Oh for sure they get along! They love their new home where they DON'T get their tails bitten off, unfortunately these new ones have some bites here and there but i got melafix since i've been recueing these little cories lately(stupid walmart). Actually you remember me telling u how one of my cories is alot bigger then the others, even though i bought them the same size. I'm thinking my biggy is a female cus when I added my two new ones, one hasn't left my big cory alone! He constantly follows it, hardly sucking the ground. Ohhh I hope , i hope!
To answer your 2nd ques, the two new ones look the same size as my smaller one, i hope 3 males wouldn't be stressful on 1 female(if thats the case).
But yes i've never seen them so active. In the crowded walmart tank, none of the cories moved, they all stood huddling together, almost too afraid to move(cus they would be biten) or their wasnt any food for them. Then they met my tank! :D :D BOOM they were charging around as if saying " yaaa food, algae, no fish that will bite me.....oh hey a big cory :wub: ". Lol i'll keep you guys updated on them for sure :fun:

lisa F said:
What is the best number of corys to keep together? .....I would hate it to get lonely! Its not bullied by the other 2.
Hi lisa F :)

When it comes to corys, the more the merrier! :band:

Corys are schooling fish and this is the basis of their personalities. They cannot fight or defend themselves so they are afraid when they are alone. As it is with all shoaling fish, they find safety in numbers. If a predator comes along, odds are that someone else will be eaten, so they feel more secure in a group. It is only then that they can relax and be themselves. :kana:

I think it's just wonderful to watch my grow out tanks, which are full of very young corys, because they eat and play almost all of the time. They tumble around and there is a lot of physical contact among them. Sometimes I will look into their cave and see them piled up, one on top of another. :thumbs:

I feel sad when I think how lonesome just one cory, in a tank of other fish, must be. :-(

Thaks inchworm, maybe I will get another 3 corys to join the original 3. There is only them and 4 neons in the tank so there is loads of space for them then hopefully they will all swim around and nobody will get left out! :D

snowyangel said:
...I'm thinking my biggy is a female cus when I added my two new ones, one hasn't left my big cory alone! He constantly follows it, hardly sucking the ground. Ohhh I hope , i hope!

... the two new ones look the same size as my smaller one, i hope 3 males wouldn't be stressful on 1 female(if thats the case).

I'm glad you got some more corys! :thumbs: They are soooo much better off with you than in WalMart's tank! :nod:

Since you now have 4 corys you are almost certain to have at least one pair. You will just have to wait to see. The new ones are younger and will probably grow.

You don't have to worry about there being too many males or females, though. When it comes time to breed you will control the situation. They are not like livebearers who are always at it! Whatever combination of males and females you have will be just fine.

Thanx Inch. Imagine if (with my luck) i got all males or something? I say males cus it seems like alot of them got tall fins like most males, but then again they're still young. The weird thing i noticed between my two new ones is they both have a complete pearly white stomachs while the other two just has flesh tone(ill post pics when im not so busy). I dont think their is colour variation in the different sexes of pepper cories, but who knows.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back