Jumpstarting a Cycle

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

lsoucy

Reaction score
Hello,
I have an already established betta tank and I am about to start cycling a new 20H gallon next week. I watched a video on youtube from someone who has been in the hobby for a long time, and he said something about using 100% polyester quilt batting (
in case you were wondering) as an alternative to mechanical media. I was thinking, to jumpstart the cycle on my new tank (as I am super excited about stocking it), could I stick some 100% polyester quilt batting into the filter of my established tank for a little bit and then transfer it to the new tank when it is time? I would also use the Tetra SafeStart as well. If this would work, how long should the batting be in my betta tank's filter?
Thanks!
Lauren

Keep the two issues separate, cycling is one and filter media the other. I believe some members here have written about using quilt batting, could have been @fluttermoth or @essjay (?) but whomever they can comment. I cannot remember if this was or wasn't a good idea. Bacteria will colonize any surface inside the filter housing.

Cycling doesn't matter on the filter media; it will take "x" period for the bacteria to colonize and establish and this is somewhat unique to each aquarium but generally takes two to eight weeks all going well. This can be sped up by adding the bacteria immediately, for which there are a few methods. Tetra SafeStart is one reliable bacterial supplement.

Live plants avoid all of this, which is how I always do it when I set up a new tank or re-set a tank.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Keep the two issues separate, cycling is one and filter media the other. I believe some members here have written about using quilt batting, could have been @fluttermoth or @essjay (?) but whomever they can comment. I cannot remember if this was or wasn't a good idea. Bacteria will colonize any surface inside the filter housing.

Cycling doesn't matter on the filter media; it will take "x" period for the bacteria to colonize and establish and this is somewhat unique to each aquarium but generally takes two to eight weeks all going well. This can be sped up by adding the bacteria immediately, for which there are a few methods. Tetra SafeStart is one reliable bacterial supplement.

Live plants avoid all of this, which is how I always do it when I set up a new tank or re-set a tank.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:
Thanks!
I meant would it work to essentially "take" some beneficial bacteria from my betta tank by sticking batting into the filter and transferring the batting to my new filter to "plant" the bacteria in the new filter. Sorry for the confusion!
In regards to the live plants, I was planning on planting a few live plants to my tank to try it out. I have never planted a tank before, my Betta's tank just has silk plants.

Thanks!
I meant would it work to essentially "take" some beneficial bacteria from my betta tank by sticking batting into the filter and transferring the batting to my new filter to "plant" the bacteria in the new filter. Sorry for the confusion!
In regards to the live plants, I was planning on planting a few live plants to my tank to try it out. I have never planted a tank before, my Betta's tank just has silk plants.

Yes, moving existing filter media from an established tank to a new tank will also work to seed the new filter/tank. [The batting issue involves possible contaminants, which is why I want others with experience to chime in.]

Floating plants are the easiest. They are important for a Betta as this fish lives among floating vegetation. Floaters are fast growing, so they do the "cycling" issue best. The idea behind this is that plants need nitrogen, and most aquatic species prefer ammonia/ammonium as their source of nitrogen, so they can assimilate quite a lot of it. The plus side is that they do this without producing nitrite, so that aspect is avoided. The bacteria cycle will still establish, only "hidden."

Before using anything originally meant for use in soft furnishings, be they pillow stuffing or quilt batting, you need to find out if they have been chemically treated to make them fire retardant. If they are fire retardant I would not use them in a fish tank, but if they are just plain polyester with no fire retardant treatment it should be OK.

Before using anything originally meant for use in soft furnishings, be they pillow stuffing or quilt batting, you need to find out if they have been chemically treated to make them fire retardant. If they are fire retardant I would not use them in a fish tank, but if they are just plain polyester with no fire retardant treatment it should be OK.
Good to know! I will make sure to check it out! Would it be a good idea to use the quilt batting to bring some bacteria in the new tank, along with using Tetra SafeStart and plants?

Yes, moving existing filter media from an established tank to a new tank will also work to seed the new filter/tank. [The batting issue involves possible contaminants, which is why I want others with experience to chime in.]

Floating plants are the easiest. They are important for a Betta as this fish lives among floating vegetation. Floaters are fast growing, so they do the "cycling" issue best. The idea behind this is that plants need nitrogen, and most aquatic species prefer ammonia/ammonium as their source of nitrogen, so they can assimilate quite a lot of it. The plus side is that they do this without producing nitrite, so that aspect is avoided. The bacteria cycle will still establish, only "hidden."
Thank you so much! I will for sure be planting my new tank which will be set up later this week. Hopefully my betta doesn't get jealous :)

Most reactions

trending

Back