Jumping tetra ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
First time happening and not sure why , do Colombian tetra jump ? My partner has just found one of them dead on my floor it’s obviously jumped from the tank , why lol

Either poor water quality or they got startled by something (possibly the tank light coming on).

---------------------
TURNING LIGHTS ON AND OFF
Stress from tank lights coming on when the room is dark can be an issue. Fish don't have eyelids and don't tolerate going from complete dark to bright light (or vice versa) instantly.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room light on at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the tank light on. This will reduce the stress on the fish and they won't go from a dark tank to a bright tank instantly.

At night turn the room light on and then turn the tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the room light out. This allows the fish to settle down for the night instead of going from a brightly lit tank to complete darkness instantly.

Try to have the lights on at the same time each day.

First time happening and not sure why , do Colombian tetra jump ? My partner has just found one of them dead on my floor it’s obviously jumped from the tank , why lol
Do you have a tight fitting lid?
Mine never jumped out of my tank, but it's surely possible...

Either poor water quality or they got startled by something (possibly the tank light coming on).

---------------------
TURNING LIGHTS ON AND OFF
Stress from tank lights coming on when the room is dark can be an issue. Fish don't have eyelids and don't tolerate going from complete dark to bright light (or vice versa) instantly.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room light on at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the tank light on. This will reduce the stress on the fish and they won't go from a dark tank to a bright tank instantly.

At night turn the room light on and then turn the tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the room light out. This allows the fish to settle down for the night instead of going from a brightly lit tank to complete darkness instantly.

Try to have the lights on at the same time each day.
I had to start work early this morning so I had to put the lights on a hour early so it’s possible, I did my usual 50% water change on Saturday haven’t tested but I tested before the water change and I had 40ppm NO3 which is normal for my tank after a week

Do you have a tight fitting lid?
Mine never jumped out of my tank, but it's surely possible...
No it’s a open top tank iv never had fish jump before other than silver dollars when they were getting eaten by an Oscar other than that my electric blue acara have just laid eggs again and the female is being aggressive but it’s nothing there not used to

No it’s a open top tank iv never had fish jump before other than silver dollars when they were getting eaten by an Oscar other than that my electric blue acara have just laid eggs again and the female is being aggressive but it’s nothing there not used to
You don't have evaporation issues?

Any particular reason for no lid?

You don't have evaporation issues?

Any particular reason for no lid?
Yeah I lose around 20l a week but nothing major Iv never owned a tank with a lid I just prefer the look of open top and don’t keep any notoriously jumpy fish

Yeah I lose around 20l a week but nothing major Iv never owned a tank with a lid I just prefer the look of open top and don’t keep any notoriously jumpy fish
You aren't concerned with anything falling into the tank, or noxious fumes from household cleaners or anything?

I'm assuming you have no cats, lol

You aren't concerned with anything falling into the tank, or noxious fumes from household cleaners or anything?

I'm assuming you have no cats, lol
No, no cats I hate them with a passion and neither me or my partner smoke in the house , I often think about carbon monoxide from burning food and such especially with an air pump feeding into the tank but that would happen with or without a lid , I just tested my water and have a usual 20ppm NO3 everything else is sweet , the remaining 7 are still swimming eating ect nothing seems out of place , I do have a large house plant potted next to the tank where it jumped maybe thought it was a good place to go lol I’m not sure , I was worried as I wasn’t there to see or test anything and I had a Cory die on Friday ... it was deformed, was short bodied and round it wasn’t a healthy fish in fairness

No, no cats I hate them with a passion and neither me or my partner smoke in the house , I often think about carbon monoxide from burning food and such especially with an air pump feeding into the tank but that would happen with or without a lid , I just tested my water and have a usual 20ppm NO3 everything else is sweet , the remaining 7 are still swimming eating ect nothing seems out of place , I do have a large house plant potted next to the tank where it jumped maybe thought it was a good place to go lol I’m not sure , I was worried as I wasn’t there to see or test anything and I had a Cory die on Friday ... it was deformed, was short bodied and round it wasn’t a healthy fish in fairness
How large, and how often do you perform WC's?

How large, and how often do you perform WC's?
I do at least 50% a week 250l fresh water minimum I did more this week probably 75% , I clean my filter every 6-8 weeks maybe sooner if flow rate slows

Might want to clean that filter more often, it could well be the source of your elevated trAtes...

Might want to clean that filter more often, it could well be the source of your elevated trAtes...
I’m really cautious of cleaning my filter , I cleaned my filter about a year ago with tank water but must of over cleaned and completely crashed my tank had a mini cycle but your right when I cleaned my filter last week it was disgusting, not saying it’s the correct practice in the hobby but my fish are used to small levels of NO3 lol but the more I think about it the jumping is strange it’s opted to jump at the filter end so would of had to fight a 2,500lph filter to jump out madness lol

Canister or HOB?

It's OK to clean the entire filter in tap water (once the tank is established for 6 months), just not the media within it, that needs cleaning in old tank water or treated tap.

No clue why your fish jumped, but if it happens again, I'd consider getting a lid, they aren't pricey

Canister or HOB?

It's OK to clean the entire filter in tap water (once the tank is established for 6 months), just not the media within it, that needs cleaning in old tank water or treated tap.

No clue why your fish jumped, but if it happens again, I'd consider getting a lid, they aren't pricey
It’s an fx4 canister and I’m considering buying some netting and coving the top of my tank maybe cut an old landing net see what I can do

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back