Jumping In The Deep End!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Mylesmom08

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok, maybe its not really a 'deep end' - but its new territory for me :) I had plans to start a cichlid only take, but due to increase in work related activities, I ended up scratching the idea of having another tank! Maybe after college... hmmm..

Anyway, now I am left with my good ol' 45 gallon and its pretty empty. The angelfish do nothing but clean one corner of the tanks plant leafs for breeding, and my corys are busy swimming through the substrate tunnels so I never see them. That sucks, since its in my living room and I tend to stare at it when I'm supposed to be doing homework. Plus, my juvenille angelfish keep breeding around the clock - and luckily, they are still to young and the eggs just become fungus. I was thinking of adding (bigger) fish to the mix, maybe just 1 or 2 to keep it simple. I've come to find out I like the look of a 'simple' tank more than a busy, active one. I used to have schooling fish, as thats were all my experience is, but I'm a calm person and like calm things :)Ā 
Ā 
I would like to add a cichlid if thats possible. Im on here though because I have no idea of ANY cichlid personalitys, temper, etc.. I dont want tank bullies or my corys to turn into food! I also have a heavily planted tank, so I dont know if cichlids will eat them... :(

Any ideas for a fish or two? I have 8 corydoras (a few peppers and false juliis) and the 2 paired angelfish. If you have an idea, I would love to hear it! Just keep in mind I would like a bigger fish (not monster, but not tetra small neither) and they have to be up to the angelfishs temper in their 'love crazed' world. (P.S., I dont mind if the angelfish fry get eaten, I dont want to be a breeder).

Have you looked into German Blue Rams or Bolivian Rams? I'm not sure if water parameters for the two are compatible but they aren't super aggressive and I love the way they look

I've thought about it - however I can't heat my tank to the required amount due to my corydoras. The tank sits at around 75-76 F right now, with a constant pH of 7.6, and I heard they like 5-6 :/ They are beautiful though!

I would suggest a Severum Cichlid. Very calm, very peaceful. It will not go after your cories or angelfish. However, if you added something like neon tetras it would eat them, but that's just because they are so small they resemble prey. Of course, 45G is not suited for a full grown sev, and I think a 75G would be minimum. But a 45G would be an excellent grow out that could last a year or two. Anyway, I thought a severum would be nice because once comfortable, they kinda "glide" through the water because of their thin profile. It's like a Discus, except its a lot hardier and cheaper.

GetItSahn said:
Have you looked into German Blue Rams or Bolivian Rams? I'm not sure if water parameters for the two are compatible but they aren't super aggressive and I love the way they look
Ā 
Ā 
Mylesmom08 said:
I've thought about it - however I can't heat my tank to the required amount due to my corydoras. The tank sits at around 75-76 F right now, with a constant pH of 7.6, and I heard they like 5-6
confused.gif
They are beautiful though!
Ā 
Ā 
Bolivian rams (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus) would be fine at your pH and temp. It's rams (german blue, gold, balloon etc, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) that need soft acid water and high temps.

Yeah, I'd second the bolivians, lovely little fish that are often overlooked in the LFS tanks as they tend to be paler when young and stressed.

Bolivians would work nicely, and wouldn't require a new tank in the future.Ā  They do like to have caves though, so adding a few 'hidey' holes for them will make them more assertive and less timid.

One of the apistogramma species would be a nice alternative to the Bolivian rams.

I would also just like to point out that angels are cichlids
smile.png

'Cichlid' might be a useful designation, in biological terms, but from the point of view of aquarium stocking it's almost useless, as they vary so much in size, behaviour, required water parameters and diet!

Apistogramma Cacatuoides, fits perfectly with your Ph and temp. Typically peaceful and nicely coloured. Probably mid/lower in tank.
Ā 
I've aĀ smallĀ male but I've only had him a few months so no real expert. However been really pleased with him, beautiful fins and not aggressive to neonĀ tetra's or 2 x GBRs he is sharing with.
Ā 
In the pastĀ  had a pair of firemouths in a similar size tank with a couple of angels, they seemed to get on well too. Though you might want to temp/ph for their requirements

Those all sound like good ideas. Im going to check my lfs out (after it finally stops snowing) and see what shipments they have available. I remember seeing a couple rams in the back area, Ill have to check them out also and see what kind they are. I know my options are limited due to tank size, but anĀ Apistogramma Cacatuoides sounds great too! Ill also look into Severum species, but I might have to hold off one that one if it requires a tank upgrade. I have to work on paying off school loans after I graduate, and I think that would just be an excuse for myself to 'get another tank' ;) and we all know how expensive that turns out lolĀ 
Ā 
Now I remember Angels are cichlids lol! I cant believe I wasn't thinking about that! Wow, lol thanks for reminding me. I dont know why I wasnt thinking about that.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back