Josh's Marine Adventure!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Mine is a 2 gallon, about 300mm x120mm by 250mm although they do come in lengths up to about 750mm and possibly a little wider. They seem to have the same kind of depth though. I think Josh's is a similar size.

read on UR earlier a load of posts about remote DSBs, i.e. those in a bucket, HOB etc. and it would seem that they provide a completely different function to what a traditional DSB does.

these remote DSBs are purely a way of reducing nitrate, by having areas where anoexic? (spelling) bacteria can exist, whereas a traditional DSB does this and sooo much more.

sorry to fill up your thread Josh!!!!

So it really comes down to weighing up if you're willing to do the 1/4 change of the DSB each year, so aslong as I plan around this and leave easy access to do the change then it really could work out more worthwhile to have a full in-sump DSB?

All this is really interesting, dont be sorry Rob, it's good stuff, more than happy for the discussion to take place in my journal, its helping me to make decisions at the end of the day :) :good:

Sorry no pics tonight I've just got in from work! I'l sort them out tomorrow afternoon though :)

I belive there is a way to get round that problem with having the sand bed remotely, however I would like to hear from Ski as I don't want to just speculate as what I believe is not backed up by that article, I think Ski may know of more evidence though.

I will either use my HOB ref as a hang on DSB or will place it in sump raised as in DIY 4 pic.

Good discussions indeed. I suppose you have to sit back and decide what you're really after with this "DSB" and I think we have to be careful not to mix up terms and intent here. If your intent is nitrate reduction only, then a remote DSB is a great solution. However, if your intent is growth of microfauna in the form of pods and similar mobile creatures, a traditional refugium with macroalgae is what you're looking for. Then again, as good as an RDSB CAN be at reducing Nitrate (it's not always so), many folks have equal success at removing Nitrate with simple macroalgae. I know I personally do not run any DSB, in fact I barely ahve any sand in my display, just enough for looks. I do however employ a refugium with macroalgae and have never had a problem with Nitrate or Phosphate and the fuge is teeming with pod life.

Formerly, I kept a refugium with a plenum system and really didn't have any difference between that versus the chaeto-based fuge I currently use... Really other than a refugium, the only in-sump creation that intrigues me is the use of a "Benthic" zone to grow wierd filter feeders. I personally don't have enough space for one, but may enjoy one in the future :)

what would constitute a 'benthic' zone ski?

from my limited knowledge, the natural benthic zone is in deep water, a dark area with higher pressure and cooler water?
how would you replicate this in a sump?

Rob (apologies if i'm completely wrong!)

edit: yeah i am completely wrong!!
the benthic zone is purely the substrate of a body of water by the looks of it. therefore how does this differ from the sand bed in your main display?

This really is quite interesting and also mind boggling lol, theres a fair old decision to make :unsure:

I'm not going to rush into getting this sump in as right now I'm not sure its needed as such as things are going nicely :) here's a pic to show the new rock layout, I hope you like it :)
3a3fbe7e.jpg

Sorry about reflections, I'll get some better ones when it's dark later :good:

really interesting discussion and loving the aquascaping :good: might do somthing like that in my new tank :nod:

Seffie x

:fish:

Best you can do with a benthic zone is to just eliminate the light. Obviously the pressure and temperature goals are impossible to meet in a cost-effective manner. But there have been a few folks out there that have grown all sorts of wierd filter-feeding inverts. Reefvideos.com has one video on it entitled "Sump Concept"

Best you can do with a benthic zone is to just eliminate the light. Obviously the pressure and temperature goals are impossible to meet in a cost-effective manner. But there have been a few folks out there that have grown all sorts of wierd filter-feeding inverts. Reefvideos.com has one video on it entitled "Sump Concept"

so is it therefore a type of 'cryptic' zone?
i employed one in my nano set up in an external filter and the live rock in there (after 12 months or so) was covered in all many of sponges and calcareous worm structures etc...

edit: just watched the 'Sump Concept' video. very informative, and something well worth a try if you've got the sump space. very interesting use of eggcrate instead of live rock as structure for the sponges and tunicates to grow on.

I know I promised pictures the other day but been super busy! Added 6 more tubos the other day and another cleaner and frogspawn coral :)

I have so many pods in there now, they're covering the glass on all sides! Fish are enjoying munching them down :p it seems very sudden, just seems plastered in them!

It is funny how all of a sudden you get an explosion of them - really liking the way your tank is looking :good:

Seffie x

:fish:

Hey guys :D
Busy busy busy right now lol so here's a quick photo update for you all :) pics arent great I know but im never about in the evenings lately when taking pics without reflection is easier! Sadly, shortly after my first clown died the other did the same, seem as before, no obvious signs of illness etc :blink: :( my bangaii is still alive and kicking along with all other live stock so I've put it down to them just not settling in, I'll replace them soon!

Had a delivery from fishmanfrags a couple weeks ago, here it is on delivery day:
08052009250.jpg
- Mr Shrimp has a friend :)

08052009251.jpg
- a blob of turbos (done a fantastic job :D )

08052009252.jpg
- frogspawn coral, just placed in to tank!

Here's a FTS from this afternoon
21052009256.jpg

and the frogspawn now, not sure its quite happy still so think I may need to move it to somewhere else, not sure where to try though, any suggestions?
21052009257.jpg

Spotted these strange bright green things on some LR :S
21052009259.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to read :)

Most reactions

Back