Jbl External Filter Noise

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

soybean

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Yesterday I set up a new JBL cristalprofi e900 and I'm regretting it already. Child's play to set up and get running, but so loud! It's much louder today than last night. I've tipped it in every direction and given it a few good shakes to get the air out and it doesn't seem to have any more air trapped. I unplugged it and plugged it in again and the noise got even worse. I can tolerate a low hum but I can hear this over the telly. It sounds like when a wire is vibrating against something, except the noise is coming from the filter itself, along with a very faint rattle. I've looked at the impellor and everything is in order. It was brand new anyway so everything should be fine. Tried adjusting the flow, made no difference.

I've searched online for noise issues with these filters and all I can find is people praising how silent they are!

Is this normal for new externals and will the noise settle down?

Argh, it's wrapped in two towels in the cabinet and I can still hear it. Private sale so I can't even return it. Serves me right for bargain hunting for something so important.

Was the filter brand new or used?

Sometimes with used filters, some of our customers in the past have noticed that they are missing the little rubber piece from the end of the impeller. May be worth checking to see if you can see this? As without it the impellor can vibrate quite a bit!

It was definitely brand new, everything was still in plastic bags. I've checked the impellor and the piece of rubber is intact, everything seems in order there. I've unplugged it now. £70 down and stuck with a filter I can't use :angry:

That dosen't sound good.

Have you contacted JBL to see what they say? Ive heard their customer service is quite good?

Problem is I bought it privately off someone so I don't have proof of purchase, I think JBL will only be interested if I have the receipt etc. I'm kicking myself for not buying from a shop now.

i had a problem with a new eheim 2217 filter that was noisy ,i tried bleeding it several times and it was till loud have you tried switching it on and off every few seconds seemed to help a lot with mine, also check all the fittings are tight as the noise is nearly always caused by trapped air, mine was still noisy but after a few days sorted it's self out and is now quiet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back