Jack Frost

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AlitaConejita

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I love looking at pictures of different animals - and especially bettas as I can't think of a single one that isn't beautiful.

I figure I can't be the only one that likes looking at pictures just because, so I am sharing the pics I've taken of Jack. My children named him Jack Frost because of his light blue colors which reminded them of the character Jack Frost from Rise of the Guardians.

Here are some horrible pics that show the colors we see on him when actually looking at him:

My 4 yr old unfortunately got his hand in Jack's tank and damaged his fins. Here is a blurry pic of Jack before the damage (looking at it now, I think that his back fins were already suffering - what do you think?):

Here is Jack after my son got his hand in there:

and here are some pictures of Jack last night as he swam around trying to figure out what my phone was doing up close to his tank:

He's beautiful! :) I love the name, too.

My two year old niece keeps telling me she wants to pet my fish
rolleyes.gif

It does look like his fins had something wrong before.  His fins will grow back with regular water changes (and maybe a few extra, depending on tank size!).

He should grow his fins back. I would love to see him fully healed.

I know how little kids and fish tanks can be. My sister's boyfriend's kids were over one day and they got into my fish room. At the time, I still had King, my first betta, in the Fluval Chi only to discover that the kid had gone to my community tank, stole the flakes and dumped most of them (along with zip ties and pencils) into his tank. I was furious.

I don't know how long it takes to grow back fin tissue, but I think the tail is slowly growing back (the little bit of white/grey fin is growth, not fin rot, right?)

The clear edges are regrowth.  The bent rays that have a black edge to them still look rough so continue the water changes.

Also be on the look out for curling rays. This is a sign of the fin rot getting worse as well, but I'm not seeig any in your photos. As WB said, keep with the water changes and he'll be fine soon. :)

I hope so! My son is very very very shy (plus has a speech delay) and he thinks Jack is his best buddy. My son, JoJo, was so distraught to see the fin damage - he says he was just trying to wave hello. JoJo thinks Jack is sooo interested in anything he says because Jack is a curious fish and looks at anyone that gets near his tank. Here he is showing Jack his car collection (a few weeks ago):

oh that is the most adorable pic, your son showing Jack his car collection!

thats a lovely betta!
but that tank is pretty small...

The tank is 2 gal. I have a 10 gal that I will be cycling before transferring Jack. I have everything ready except for the test kit and ammonia.

Here are the latest pics of Jack. I hope to track his fin re-growth in this journal :)

He already seems to look better. In the second photo, you can see the chunk is more evened out than it used to be. This means some of the rays are growing back. :)

He is looking much better.  As you can see in the last 2 pics in relation to the earlier pics that there are no more rays in his caudal fin (tail fin) that look black, bent, or like they are melting.  This means that you have stopped the fin rot.  :)  From this point with the water changes you are doing, you should start seeing him grow back the missing rays.  They will normally come in clear and then fill in with color.

Indeed they are! I'm so glad he's healing up well.

I think that the betta spa is not only helping Jack grow his find back, but it is also making his colors more vibrant ... And green?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back