I've A Confession To Make

Can't argue about their fantastic colours...But they don't really do anything.
Guppy's are great beginner fish.Unless they're inbred to the extreme..
 
:lol: what the mrs wants the mrs gets!!

I like this...wish everyone lived by this rule....we could rule then!

I forgot to add - just dragging her to the LFS cost me the price of the Sex and the city movie DVD :?

Hey thats a good film...wish i could get my hubby to buy it for me.

Fun aside...im sorry you lost your new fish...i lost 3 out of 4 of my guppies within a week...I have just the one female left.
 
Fancy guppies are disgustingly delicate little buggers.

Guppys are easy to care for and very hardy. You'd have to be a total moron to kill one with water conditions. They'll survive everything from 19c to 29c and are very tolerant of chemical fluctuations and small spikes.
Regular guppies are very hardy, fancy guppies, the brightly colored big tailed variety, are tremendously inbred to achieve the characteristics that make them popular and simply aren't as hardy as the wild varieties.

If you'd like to critique what I'm doing either PM or get a hold of me both other means that bothering this thread with it.
 
Fancy guppies are disgustingly delicate little buggers.

Guppys are easy to care for and very hardy. You'd have to be a total moron to kill one with water conditions. They'll survive everything from 19c to 29c and are very tolerant of chemical fluctuations and small spikes.
Regular guppies are very hardy, fancy guppies, the brightly colored big tailed variety, are tremendously inbred to achieve the characteristics that make them popular and simply aren't as hardy as the wild varieties.

If you'd like to critique what I'm doing either PM or get a hold of me both other means that bothering this thread with it.

Seconded, fancy guppies are notoriously inbred and weak. Years ago guppies were considered very hardy - however times move on, and inbreeding has led to weakness.

Either way - I'm going to be getting more, but I'll be setting up a small tank specifically for them. Thinking about dwarf gourami's instead for the community tank - another sickly fish, but big and ugly enough to look after itself and not take any rubbish from my (occasionally aggressive) Rams.
 
Funny that you dislike fish that are cheap :P

You know they are only cheap because they are so easy to breed and weigh less than the coin your paying for them with.

If discus were as prolific as guppies they would on cost a pound or two themselves.
 
Funny that you dislike fish that are cheap :P

You know they are only cheap because they are so easy to breed and weigh less than the coin your paying for them with.

If discus were as prolific as guppies they would on cost a pound or two themselves.

I think you've missed the point. I couldn't care less how much a fish costs, I've spent anywhere between £1-20 on different fish in my tanks. I said I feel cheap - guppies are a very plain, everyday fish that just about everyone keeps and I've never seen them as interesting.
 
Seconded, fancy guppies are notoriously inbred and weak. Years ago guppies were considered very hardy - however times move on, and inbreeding has led to weakness.

Either way - I'm going to be getting more, but I'll be setting up a small tank specifically for them. Thinking about dwarf gourami's instead for the community tank - another sickly fish, but big and ugly enough to look after itself and not take any rubbish from my (occasionally aggressive) Rams.

You can't get anything other than fancy guppies. The term "fancy" in the pet trade is just another term for domesticated. Guppys are hardy fish, this recent idea that breeding has made them weak is misinformation, domestication has made them hardier to aquarium conditions, not weaker. Inbreeding is an entirely different matter. If anything, their elevated exposure to novice fishkeepers is more likely to account for their high attrition rate. A decent, reputable LFS with good healthy stock is usually enough to ensure you are buying a good strain.

If you're having trouble keeping your guppies then I'd think twice about moving on to more advanced fish like gouramis.
 
Fancy guppies are disgustingly delicate little buggers.

Guppys are easy to care for and very hardy. You'd have to be a total moron to kill one with water conditions. They'll survive everything from 19c to 29c and are very tolerant of chemical fluctuations and small spikes.
Regular guppies are very hardy, fancy guppies, the brightly colored big tailed variety, are tremendously inbred to achieve the characteristics that make them popular and simply aren't as hardy as the wild varieties.

If you'd like to critique what I'm doing either PM or get a hold of me both other means that bothering this thread with it.

Seconded, fancy guppies are notoriously inbred and weak. Years ago guppies were considered very hardy - however times move on, and inbreeding has led to weakness.
inbreeding has not led to weakness guppies are still as hardy. ther are some shops that will sale crap guppies that have been kept in very bad conditions / you have got to know what you are looking for and only buy good quality fish.
 
Seconded, fancy guppies are notoriously inbred and weak. Years ago guppies were considered very hardy - however times move on, and inbreeding has led to weakness.

Either way - I'm going to be getting more, but I'll be setting up a small tank specifically for them. Thinking about dwarf gourami's instead for the community tank - another sickly fish, but big and ugly enough to look after itself and not take any rubbish from my (occasionally aggressive) Rams.

You can't get anything other than fancy guppies. The term "fancy" in the pet trade is just another term for domesticated. Guppys are hardy fish, this recent idea that breeding has made them weak is misinformation, domestication has made them hardier to aquarium conditions, not weaker. Inbreeding is an entirely different matter. If anything, their elevated exposure to novice fishkeepers is more likely to account for their high attrition rate. A decent, reputable LFS with good healthy stock is usually enough to ensure you are buying a good strain.

If you're having trouble keeping your guppies then I'd think twice about moving on to more advanced fish like gouramis.

You can get wild guppies which are hardy, so I disagree with you on that point. And as for more advanced fish - I keep gourami's already - along with SA and African Cichlids, pleco's, syno's, rainbows, CPD's and a few more species I can't be bothered to list, so thanks for the advice but I'd prefer it if you kept it to yourself.
 
Seconded, fancy guppies are notoriously inbred and weak. Years ago guppies were considered very hardy - however times move on, and inbreeding has led to weakness.

Either way - I'm going to be getting more, but I'll be setting up a small tank specifically for them. Thinking about dwarf gourami's instead for the community tank - another sickly fish, but big and ugly enough to look after itself and not take any rubbish from my (occasionally aggressive) Rams.

You can't get anything other than fancy guppies. The term "fancy" in the pet trade is just another term for domesticated. Guppys are hardy fish, this recent idea that breeding has made them weak is misinformation, domestication has made them hardier to aquarium conditions, not weaker. Inbreeding is an entirely different matter. If anything, their elevated exposure to novice fishkeepers is more likely to account for their high attrition rate. A decent, reputable LFS with good healthy stock is usually enough to ensure you are buying a good strain.

If you're having trouble keeping your guppies then I'd think twice about moving on to more advanced fish like gouramis.

another going to disagree with you here, most shop brought 'fancy' guppies are very weak and will often die within a few days, i brought 5 males recently, but made sure there were nice and fat and had shorter tails, and still got them all, whereas i i buy long fancy tailed guppies they die on me, i have been keeping and breeding guppies for many years now and have always had the same problem, now i buy from breeders or short finned males from LFS, they most certaily are not hardier in aquariums


tenohfive i am sorry to hear that your guppies didn't make it :rip:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top