It's happening

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fish you will be adding in "waves" over time, I assume, so the money will be spread out over time...
I was thinking of all in one hit. One male and two female apistos should be fine in a 3' tank; and 20-40 characins in the top. Front runners for the dither fish are ember tetra or hockey stick / diptail pencilfish (nannostomus eques). It probably will be blackwater as one of the things I have lying around is a 3' LED unit, but I doubt it was designed for a tank that is only 12" deep full of fish that don't like bright light. Just for a change from my frogbit covered tanks I am going to give water sprite another go for this one.

I was thinking of all in one hit. One male and two female apistos should be fine in a 3' tank; and 20-40 characins in the top. Front runners for the dither fish are ember tetra or hockey stick / diptail pencilfish (nannostomus eques). It probably will be blackwater as one of the things I have lying around is a 3' LED unit, but I doubt it was designed for a tank that is only 12" deep full of fish that don't like bright light. Just for a change from my frogbit covered tanks I am going to give water sprite another go for this one.
Sounds great!! Very similar to what I am planning for my 55... Although my plans do not include Characins... I want Apistos, pencilfish, cories, otos, rummy nose, harlequin rasboras, and either Neons or Embers.. It is setup and Cycling at the moment with a beige sand substrate and lots of driftwood... The water is a nice light tea color and its already looking like a blackwater habitat... I can't wait to add plants and fish!!

You will have to post pictures once the tank is setup! :)

I only have 5 pairs of shoes, lol. (CAP boots, Army boots, flip flops, slippers, and regular shoes)

Good luck, maybe if you tell her you bought it for her---????nope that did not work for me and my wife. Try sneaking it into the basement and when she is gone set it up and have it running and when she come home and asks what is this doing here just look at her with a blank stare and say "it has always been here my love don't you remember?":dunno:

I only have 5 pairs of shoes, lol. (CAP boots, Army boots, flip flops, slippers, and regular shoes)
I have a ton of shoes, but the majority of them are not for me but are stock for business :rofl:

Just called my local MAQ and they currently have around 100 ember tetra and a similar amount of nannostomus unifasciatus (with several other species mixed in the tank :rolleyes:). If I do go for pencilfish it has to be n.eques :dunno:. No Apistos which would have to be a special order as they usually sell males or pairs only.

Tropco, my usual on-line source, is opening their website again this evening for deliveries next week. They did open prevously but had to shut the site again as they were overwhelmed by orders and filled all available delivery slots fairly quickly and had to close to allow them to catch up. Hope they don't close again too soon (or for too long) as I'm not ready to order yet.

So if anyone in the Thames valley region breeds apistos and would have some ready for collection in the next few weeks give me a shout :). Not too hung up on species / colour strains but would want to look them up, and see pics before deciding.

Plants have arrived. Got some tissue cultured:
  • Hygrophila polysperma (rosanervig)
  • Ludwigia repens mesakana
  • Ceratopteris thalicroides
  • Echinodorus reni
Guess I'll have to throw them in a bucket. At least a couple of days before I can plant as I decided to use plasti-kote spray instead of my usual sheets of black paper on the walls.

Congrats!!! Definitely post pictures once it is all set up. :D
Certainly will. I bought them on eBay instead of the big brands I usually have success with. Plants are tiny, but there are lots of them - so I guess it will be several weeks / months before its well established. But I am still thinking of moving some plants from the other tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back