It Was A Scary Evening

saz326

Fish Herder
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Hertfordshire
After getting home from work, I went to feed my fishies....

.....Where's Spike? Where's Millie? (Male and female cockatoo dwarf cichlids - Spike coz of his crest, and millie coz of Spike Milli-gan) :nod: *sighs* I know....

anway. Spent half an hour peering all around my tank. Gently pulled plants forwards to see if the fishies were being concealed. .... Even opened my filter (external) just incase they had managed to swim down the pipes... (even though there is no possible way to do so - I had a daft moment in my worried state)

There were no bodies.. I was confused. Even called my fella in to help me look.

Then I moved a bit of mopani wood, and saw Spikes orange tail and his womans face peering at me.

They have managed to excavate a cave underneath one of the pieces of wood in my tank and now seem to be calling the cave home. I knew that cichlids like this prefer to live in caves, but I never imagined they would MAKE a sub-terranian one.

So relief and excitement... Maybe I'll get some little swimmers.. :yahoo:

Hope I didn't disturb them too much. Spike is still on guard duty and Millie seems to spend a lot of time "indoors". Maybe the little gap I made when moving the mopani has allowed a little more water to flow through the cave to help keep the eggs safe.

heres hoping.
 
Sounds like they could be making a 'nest' for some little ones. Cichlids are funny things, you'd be suprised the lengths they will go to to find a nice home.
 
Sounds like they could be making a 'nest' for some little ones. Cichlids are funny things, you'd be suprised the lengths they will go to to find a nice home.

Too true, I remember when I had my little Oscar, (this is when he was just 6" -now 12") he used to hide behind a little fluval 1 plus that I had put in the tank for extra water flow near the gravel (big fish means big poops lol). But yeah, I had placed some plants and some rocks near the filter to hide it and there goes Oscar moving things around to his likings and making home behind the filter lol... Wish I got a picture :(

Here's a pic of him next to the filter, A year after his hiding spot lol
IMG_1841.jpg


Way too big to hide now :P
 
Sounds like they could be making a 'nest' for some little ones. Cichlids are funny things, you'd be suprised the lengths they will go to to find a nice home.

Too true, I remember when I had my little Oscar, (this is when he was just 6" -now 12") he used to hide behind a little fluval 1 plus that I had put in the tank for extra water flow near the gravel (big fish means big poops lol). But yeah, I had placed some plants and some rocks near the filter to hide it and there goes Oscar moving things around to his likings and making home behind the filter lol... Wish I got a picture :(

Here's a pic of him next to the filter, A year after his hiding spot lol
IMG_1841.jpg


Way too big to hide now :P


I can imagine him being like a 3 year old.. my niece - sophie - believes that if she cant see me then I cant see her. So she hides behind the curtains with her little feet poking out at the bottom!!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top