Issues With Fluval U2

Ny82

1 Woman Army ;)
Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues with fluval filters? I have a U2 in my 64L fry tank. I do water changes twice a day in that tank. I unplug the filter, do the water change, plug it back in-nothing. Take the plug out, put it back in-nothing. I do this about 3 or 4 times and then it kicks in again and starts working. I changed the fuse in the plug in case that's what it was. I also tried it in different sockets on the multiplug - nothing. I'm scared to turn it off, I just push it right down since I only take about 20% of the water out each change.Ā 
The filter pads get cleaned in the water I take out as it starts chugging, Do you think the filters on its way out? I have had it for 2 years now.Ā 
Anyone else had any issues with it?Ā 
Thanks

Yes, I've got 2 of these and they do the same sometimes.Ā  Shaking the filter makes it restart. In all honesty they'd never stop while running, just won't start sometimes after been turned off and that's been the case for the last year.
Check the middle blue basket that contains the bio media. The bottom of it where there's a mesh kind of hole on the short sideĀ becomes clogged with some slime in mine and I've noticed that's when it happens. I guess the impeller suffers from it somehow.

snazy said:
Yes, I've got 2 of these and they do the same sometimes.Ā  Shaking the filter makes it restart. In all honesty they'd never stop while running, just won't start sometimes after been turned off and that's been the case for the last year.
Check the middle blue basket that contains the bio media. The bottom of it where there's a mesh kind of hole on the short sideĀ becomes clogged with some slime in mine and I've noticed that's when it happens. I guess the impeller suffers from it somehow.
Ā 
Ah, maybe a common thing then? Ā It only started doing it a few weeks ago. I will check the space under the basket and see if it's clogged. I haven't had any issues with the filter while it's on, when it chugs I know to clean the pads.Ā 
Thanks!

Yes, it's seems a common thing as it happens with both of mine. It scared the hell out of me the first times but it seems it's just some minor thing causing the motor not to restart after switched off for some reason.

snazy said:
Yes, it's seems a common thing as it happens with both of mine. It scared the hell out of me the first times but it seems it's just some minor thing causing the motor not to restart after switched off for some reason.
Ā 
Yes it was panic stations ahoy when it first happened haha! I still get frantic, I don't turn it off. I will have a look at the bit you said about but I don't want to turn it off in case it doesn't start again :/Ā 

Turn it off and check the basket. Ā If it doesn't restart, shake it really well outside the hodling brackets of course, while it is switched on. You may scare the fish a lot but it does restart when well shaken.

snazy said:
Turn it off and check the basket. Ā If it doesn't restart, shake it really well outside the hodling brackets of course, while it is switched on. You may scare the fish a lot but it does restart when well shaken.
Ā 
Ok thanks, I will go and try that.Ā 
It's just guppy fry - who are used to me and come up to my hand and cory fry in that tank. I am sure they will be fine lol.Ā 
Back in a little bit.Ā 

Thanks for the advice snazy! I just checked that little recess bit with the fan and it was clear, plugged it back in and didn't start. Took your advice and shook it-created some stormy water but it eventually started again! I will keep that in mind now.Ā 
Thanks again :)

I have two U4s and they need a strip down every 2 or 3 weeks to keep the flow something near decent...
Main cannister separated from pump and dunked in removed water.
Impeller and its cavity in the pump section cleaned with damp cotton buds.
Ā 
Weekly on water change day...
Outer sponges and carbon pads squeezed in removed tank water.
Blue media core dunked in removed water in various positions, box opened up to ensure no bits are stuck under the bottom arc.

N0body Of The Goat said:
I have two U4s and they need a strip down every 2 or 3 weeks to keep the flow something near decent...
Ā 
Blue media core dunked in removed water in various positions, box opened up to ensure no bits are stuck under the bottom arc.
That's a lot of maintenence. But I understand because even though I have just cleaned it out-it's still chugging :/ maybe time to change the pads?

I also have two U4 filters and never had the same issue as the U2s. My U4 don't need such regular maintenance at all, so it depends on the tank.
Ā 
At Ny82, next time just check the motorhead and impeller but I think it's just some fault with the U2 filters more likely.

Ny82 said:
Ā 
Ā 
That's a lot of maintenence. But I understand because even though I have just cleaned it out-it's still chugging
confused.gif
maybe time to change the pads?
Ā 
Honesty, it is <5min job on top of removing tank water into a bucket (and not filling it completely so there is spare volume to dunk the various filter bits). ;)
Ā 
I'm still using the same pads in my 3 year old, second hand U4, the newer one is using the originals too. I start at one end of a pad/sponge and do a moderate squeeze, working my way along the pad to the other end, so each pad get ~12-15 squeezes. I don't always separate the carbon pad and sponge from one side of the filter, so the inner side of both does not get cleaned.
Ā 
But the gunk that clings to the impeller and the impeller cavity in the pump can make a massive difference to performance, it can be quite shocking how mucky a wet cotton bud or to can become during a wipe around!

Snazy-I will check that the next time. It seems to still be chugging, I am not taking it apart lol.Ā 
Ā 
nobody of the goat-I will try the cotton bud as it's chugging. I have had the same pads for 2 years I thought you had to change them every 6 months I am just too scared of getting rid of the established media!

Unless they literally fall apart, the only time you would want to change established media (pads/sponges/ceramics etc.), in this case would be to use new carbon pads to adsorb the last bits of medication after a big water change following treatment or perhaps reduce the tea colour of some tannin stained water from newish bogwood.
Ā 
After a while, those Fluval carbon pads lose their adsorbing properties and just get treated as another surface for the bacterial colonies, so removing them is risking a toxin spike from lost bacteria.

Most reactions

Back