• Yes

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Attenbruh

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I found a cheap tank online in almost perfect condition: Only used as a hospital tank rarely. The only thing is it has been used for saltwater. Would it be ok to use it for a freshwater tank. I don't worry about the left-over diseases but only the fact that it is currently used for saltwater.

Maybe add some salt hardy fish in to begin with and go from there
Why?
It'll be getting a thorough cleanse, with lots of hot water and vinegar before use.

I found a cheap tank online in almost perfect condition: Only used as a hospital tank rarely. The only thing is it has been used for saltwater. Would it be ok to use it for a freshwater tank. I don't worry about the left-over diseases but only the fact that it is currently used for saltwater.
The problem with buying it, pre-owned, on-line, is that you can't see it up close and personal and check it for leaks.
Before you buy, get assurances that it doesn't leak and that there's a useful return policy.

Leaking tanks can be fixed with aquarium sealant, but these should be a lot, lot cheaper than non-leakers.

Washing it out wasent mentioned in the op post

Leading me to think he was gonna go with a fill up cycle and then fish in approach with no prior cleaning

I could also be wrong

As long as you clean it out super good, it’ll be fine.

Ok, thanks for your advice. If I do get it I will make sure to clean it out properly (With no chemicals).
Does it currently have saltwater in it? Or is it an empty tank that was previously used for saltwater?!

For goodness' sake it is a tank, clean it fill it up. It will be fine. Enjoy your new tank. If it leaks, buy some silicone, and reseal it and it will be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back