What's new

Is this silicone safe? Quick help is appreciated :)

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Penelope .R

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I ran out of my usual aquarium silicone and am wondering if this leftover tube will work? I know 100% silicone is safe, but this says 100% silicone rubber, and there are ingredients listed on the back.
I'm trying to get this project done by tomorrow so the silicone can cure while I'm on vacation, and the tank is ready for set up by the time I get home, and I'm trying to decide if I can use this or if I have to run out and buy an aquarium silicone.
20220524_085209.jpg
20220524_085204.jpg
20220524_085209.jpg
20220524_085222.jpg

Attachments

• 20220524_085209.jpg
    20220524_085209.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220524_085209.jpg
    20220524_085209.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20220524_085222.jpg
    20220524_085222.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 30
Have a read here, please https://fishlab.com/aquarium-safe-silicone/

I have been involved somewhere this [ast week on this issue so I found the above. I think the thread involved dealt with what the strongest silicone was, clear or black, The fact it it isn't the color its the 100% pure part and that means pretty much nothing else. Of course to make black silicone means something added to the color.

the NSF tag is Nation Sanitation Foundation, my guess would be that Dow have certified that as "food safe" -probably can find something in the fine print or website

I would contact the company and ask if it's suitable for glass aquariums. Some silicon doesn't stick to glass and if it doesn't specifically say "suitable for aquariums" it might not hold when the tank is filled up.

Have a read here, please https://fishlab.com/aquarium-safe-silicone/

I have been involved somewhere this [ast week on this issue so I found the above. I think the thread involved dealt with what the strongest silicone was, clear or black, The fact it it isn't the color its the 100% pure part and that means pretty much nothing else. Of course to make black silicone means something added to the color.
Thank you! The article was helpful. I'd been trying to Google it but wasn't getting anything clear.
And I've never thought about that, that black silicone can't be 100% pure because of the color.
I would contact the company and ask if it's suitable for glass aquariums. Some silicon doesn't stick to glass and if it doesn't specifically say "suitable for aquariums" it might not hold when the tank is filled up.
Good point, I'm new to working with silicone but this'll be the first aquarium I use it on. I'm not resealing it, just decorating, but I obviously don't want to poison anyone lol

I ended up going out and buying an overpriced tube of aqueon silicone just to be safe 🙃 I'm mad over spending $11 for a tiny little tube, but that's what I get for waiting till the last minute to work on this.

Also, I was wondering if it would be safe to fill the tank tomorrow night and get it completely set up to start cycling? I've read that silicone is fully cured after 24 hours depending on the thickness, but I've also read it's not safe to add fish for 7 days? Could someone clarify?

I'd like to fill the tank and replant the plants and get the filter cycling, either tomorrow night or early Thursday morning. Wait a week, drain the tank, and then add my AFD's and snails back into the enclosure.
Would this be safe or would the silicone leach anything into the water? I'd like to get the tank up and running, I'm eager to see it put together, but if I need to wait until after my vacation that's fine too. I just worry for the health of my plants since most of them are just floating in a temporary tank right now.

Silicon glue for aquariums normally takes 24 hours to cure and 7 days to fully set, but that can vary depending on temperature and humidity. If it's cold and damp, then the times are longer.

If you glued a couple of items together, can you leave them out while you fill and set yup the tank?
Or did you glue the items to the tank?

Once the silicon is dry, it shouldn't leach anything into the water.

The plants in the temporary tank should be fine if they are still getting light.

You could do a partial fill of the tank so as not to put too much pressure on the glass. That way at least you can start a cycle.
Oh, can't remember the name of the program but those guys down in Vegas who make tanks on TV seem to just throw water into a tank as soon as they finish the build.

Silicon glue for aquariums normally takes 24 hours to cure and 7 days to fully set, but that can vary depending on temperature and humidity. If it's cold and damp, then the times are longer.

If you glued a couple of items together, can you leave them out while you fill and set yup the tank?
Or did you glue the items to the tank?

Once the silicon is dry, it shouldn't leach anything into the water.

The plants in the temporary tank should be fine if they are still getting light.
So then it should be fine by tomorrow morning or this evening? Or should I wait the full seven days? I finished the tank yesterday at 12 in the afternoon.
And everything is fixed to the tank, I found the idea on YouTube and went for it.
You could do a partial fill of the tank so as not to put too much pressure on the glass. That way at least you can start a cycle.
Oh, can't remember the name of the program but those guys down in Vegas who make tanks on TV seem to just throw water into a tank as soon as they finish the build.
I'm not sealing a tank, just decorating, I'll post a picture. And is it Tanked? I watched that show with my dad when I was a kid.

@Penelope .R

The article I linked should have answered all your Qs. You needed to read it all.

1. Both the proper clear or black silicone is fine to use as long as you buy the brands listed in the article.
2. Cluing things in a tank can use a less pricey and, hence, less strong silicone. However, for inside the tank gluing decor this is fine.
3. No you cannot cycle the tank right away. Silicone must cure dry it cannot be wet, Further, it requires 7 days to cure properly.

Do not use off brands, do not add water to silicone in less than 7 days after applying it.

There is an old saying: "“Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can, Seldom found in woman, Never found in man.” ― Jonathan Morris

Patience is an essential skill when it comes to keeping fish. :)

@Penelope .R

The article I linked should have answered all your Qs. You needed to read it all.

1. Both the proper clear or black silicone is fine to use as long as you buy the brands listed in the article.
2. Cluing things in a tank can use a less pricey and, hence, less strong silicone. However, for inside the tank gluing decor this is fine.
3. No you cannot cycle the tank right away. Silicone must cure dry it cannot be wet, Further, it requires 7 days to cure properly.

Do not use off brands, do not add water to silicone in less than 7 days after applying it.

There is an old saying: "“Patience is a virtue, Possess it if you can, Seldom found in woman, Never found in man.” ― Jonathan Morris

Patience is an essential skill when it comes to keeping fish. :)
Yes I read it all, I just got confused.
I'm not particularly concerned about cycling the tank, just my plants, which are currently floating in a five gallon. I dont have anywhere to plant them or any extra substrate, and I'll be gone till Tuesday.
That's the only reason I asked, I get confused easy. I'm fine waiting.

If you have some light and circulation in the 5, the plants can be OK for a few days if they are healthy. Even better is if somebody can change some water in the little tank. If so, make sure they know to add a bit of dechlor if you normally use it.

I recentl parked a few plants in a 5.5 for way too long. I lost some leaves but no full plants. I am talking a couple of eweks not days. But I have so many plants I could have thrown them out and never noticed. I just have a thinkg about throwing out healthy plants which is why my planted tanks look like jungles.

As a rule the more light and nutrients a plant species needs, the less time you can park it as above. But ferns and anubias etc. usually do fine thid way for a few days.

Most reactions

trending

Back