Is This... Sanitary?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Inchyally

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was in Wal-Mart a few days ago and looked at their fish section.... I noticed there was (this is pretty gross) halves of Guppies and small goldfish at the top of the Oscar and African Cichlid tanks. From what I can see, since these fish were too small to eat the entire goldfish/guppy (the Oscar was pretty small) they.... chopped up some fish that may have died in other tanks and just floated them on top of these other two tanks as food! I was REALLY grossed out. I understand feeder fish but these were like.... halves of fish. Is this done normally or was I seeing something odd and.... gross? I couldn't believe my eyes, HALVES OF FISH, cut clean in half, just floating there. Most of them were uneaten by the way... and not just one of two dead fish, I think I saw 2 cut-in-halfs goldfish in one tank and about 4 chopped up guppies in the other.

Have you ever seen this? I wanted to say something because it was disgusting. Also, I saw a container of flake food in the Betta section (right near by) so I have no idea who or why this is being done. :blink:

I was in Wal-Mart a few days ago and looked at their fish section.... I noticed there was (this is pretty gross) halves of Guppies and small goldfish at the top of the Oscar and African Cichlid tanks. From what I can see, since these fish were too small to eat the entire goldfish/guppy (the Oscar was pretty small) they.... chopped up some fish that may have died in other tanks and just floated them on top of these other two tanks as food! I was REALLY grossed out. I understand feeder fish but these were like.... halves of fish. Is this done normally or was I seeing something odd and.... gross? I couldn't believe my eyes, HALVES OF FISH, cut clean in half, just floating there. Most of them were uneaten by the way... and not just one of two dead fish, I think I saw 2 cut-in-halfs goldfish in one tank and about 4 chopped up guppies in the other.

Have you ever seen this? I wanted to say something because it was disgusting. Also, I saw a container of flake food in the Betta section (right near by) so I have no idea who or why this is being done. :blink:

Um....tbh if I saw that id be grossed out too, other than what dead fish release into the water if they are sat there for a while, to other people, they might find this distressing...can just imagine a little kid saying "mummy..whats that" or just getting upset at seeing it. Not good IMO, might have guessed which company it was...

Um....tbh if I saw that id be grossed out too, other than what dead fish release into the water if they are sat there for a while, to other people, they might find this distressing...can just imagine a little kid saying "mummy..whats that" or just getting upset at seeing it. Not good IMO, might have guessed which company it was...

Yeah, not only was it gross, there was no explainable reason for it. These fish weren't big enough to consume it and it looked like they were just rotting. And there was flake food right there! I am trying to figure this out bit I can't.

Yeah, not only was it gross, there was no explainable reason for it. These fish weren't big enough to consume it and it looked like they were just rotting. And there was flake food right there! I am trying to figure this out bit I can't.

OMG! I forgot about the flake food! I just dont know what to say, not only gross, I get the feeder prospect too, so these guppies and goldies...are they what had died, or have they been euthanised for food how do we know? If they are being killed to feed fish that arent even big enough to eat them, but id question ethics here too...

I bet they were fish that died in shipment or inthe tanks. It's a nasty wrong way to cut cost. It's nasty and it would be better if they did not feed the fish at all then add dead fish to the tank to rot. Nasty i would have said something to someone about how nasty it looks and unhealthy it is for the fish. And that is a family store and that's not something kids should have to look at.

the really sad thing is they would probably listen more to the "it's not fair for families to come in here and kids look in the tank and see half a fish floating in it" argument more than they would to a "it's unhealthy, what if that fish is diseased?" argument... *sigh*

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back