Is this really Betta imbellis?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I don't think they are imbellis males they do not display the red crescent on their tail and the upside-down red tear-drop shape on their lower fins, They are deffinatly in the splendens complex. To me, the top two look more like Siamorientalis.
1643195829661.png

Also another side note: the name peaceful betta as a common name for the betta imbellis is a bit of a misnomer, they arent really all that peaceful, males will definatly fight in the same way as a wild or dommesticated splenden would, and after breeding agression bettween males and females is common (often resulting in death or injury). I would say treat Imbellis the same way as a Splenden. Sometime females can be kept together in the Imbellis species but in the same way as with Splenden this can also result in fighting.

Most of the time all the betta species in the Splenden complex shown above are rather agressive (they were all used as fighting fin in Thailand and other south east asia countries where they are from)
Other non Splenden complex bettas tend to be more peaceful and can be kept in groups or pair,

hope this helps
ember

I don't think they are imbellis males they do not display the red crescent on their tail and the upside-down red tear-drop shape on their lower fins, They are deffinatly in the splendens complex. To me, the top two look more like Siamorientalis.

Also another side note: the name peaceful betta as a common name for the betta imbellis is a bit of a misnomer, they arent really all that peaceful, males will definatly fight in the same way as a wild or dommesticated splenden would, and after breeding agression bettween males and females is common (often resulting in death or injury). I would say treat Imbellis the same way as a Splenden. Sometime females can be kept together in the Imbellis species but in the same way as with Splenden this can also result in fighting.
Well, yes and no. The ones I've kept aren't exactly peaceful, and they will hurt each other over time if they don't have good escape cover etc. But they aren't like splendens: They won't fight to the death like splendens. They will just pick on each other constantly until one eventually succumbs to the stress. With sufficient space and escape cover, they can be kept together.

yeah yeah I was just making a point that some people think Imbellis as a super community fish that will have no problems cohabiting, and due to there small size they are sometimes kept in groups in small nano tanks they can be kept together but not in the way some people think

I've talked to a pro beta shop owner recently.
He said that so called "imbellis" which is sold at very low price in japan is just mix of splendens complex found in Indonesia.(Actually indonesia is not native habitat of betta but according to him breeders in the country released many kind of betta.)
So it seems that this fish is mixed betta not imbellis and not splendens.

ahhh interesting well it's still a beautiful animal

Interesting! Several betta species, including imbellis, are indeed native to Indonesia, particularly Sumatra. But most of them seem to live in Thailand and the Malay Peninsula.

Sorry to hear yours probably isn't a real imbellis. It is very beautiful, whatever it is! :) Now you know and can care for it accordingly. Well done on the detective work.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back