Is this really Betta imbellis?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

xipo817

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought this betta in shop in japan as betta imbellis.
But I am not sure if this fish is really imbellis.
This fish has red bar in his gill, so I think this betta looks more like splendens or siamorientalis.
I don't know well about betta because I've just started betta rearing only 2 month ago.
So if someone knows about this fish please let me know.
DSCN5202.JPG

Kinda hard to tell based on the colors, though I'm leaning towards splendens.

Well, all I can tell you is it could be an imbellis. Mine are more blue-green, not so bronze colored, but there are different color morphs. More pics perhaps?

just searched up wild bettas and now i think the wild types are better than the domesticated splendens

i think it is the splendens too

just searched up wild bettas and now i think the wild types are better than the domesticated splendens

i think it is the splendens too
My imbellis are so much prettier than any spendens I've ever seen. And knowing that they actually exist in nature makes them more interesting.

yeah they are so pretty
what's also cool is that they can live together like in your video
Yeah! They get a little frisky when they're breeding. When I only had a pair, my male actually hounded the female to death before I could get her into a new home. :( Now I have three males. They spar and puff up at each other, but basically get along pretty well. I wouldn't try a breeding pair again unless I had a tank with more surface area, or a male and two or three females.

Yeah! They get a little frisky when they're breeding. When I only had a pair, my male actually hounded the female to death before I could get her into a new home. :( Now I have three males. They spar and puff up at each other, but basically get along pretty well. I wouldn't try a breeding pair again unless I had a tank with more surface area, or a male and two or three females.
oh dang i wish i could have a school of bettas
i have some gouramis so i dont think i could add bettas
75g with lots of floaters
i think they maybe can have some hiding there

wait does that mean they can live with pearl gouramis @Crispii
idk maybe you liked the post about agreeing with the second part

wait does that mean they can live with pearl gouramis @Crispii
idk maybe you liked the post about agreeing with the second part
I believe the larger size species (pugnax and unimaculata complex) can do okay with pearls. Iirc, I believe Wild Betta Fish USA has kept pearls with some of his larger species from the unimaculata complex with minimal issues. I have kept honey gourami alongside with my gladiator pair once and they basically left them alone. Initially, the pair would chase the gouramis around, but after 5 minutes, they basically ignore the gouramis.

I only liked the post since you're interested in keeping wilds.

Last edited:
I believe the larger size species (pugnax and unimaculata complex) can do okay with pearls. Iirc, I believe Wild Betta Fish USA has kept pearls with some of his larger species from the unimaculata complex with minimal issues. I have kept honey gourami alongside with my gladiator pair once and they basically left them alone. Initially, the pair would chase the gouramis around, but after 5 minutes, they basically ignore the gouramis.

I only liked the post since you're interested in keeping wilds.
omg those 2 are so beautiful
is the complex a mouth brrood?

i saw some bettas at the fish store
they are like 130+ usd for a pair
is that overpriced, because i see them online for like 30-40 usd each

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back