Is this normal black copper coloration? Or is this velvet?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jayveechun

Reaction score
Hi. A few weeks back, I lost Norbert, a salamander betta dumbo male. Suspected velvet case.
After that experience, I am more observant with my other bettas to see if something is creeping and to nip it in the bud.

So that brings me to Voldemort, my Black Copper Crowntail.
I'm not sure if the coloration is normal but since I am now more observant and paranoid, is the brown coloration part of being a black copper fish? Or is that velvet?

Its more like a non-shiny, flat, almost brown algae-diatom color uniformly at the end of each scale... And its only on the top of the head and upper back. I never noticed that before because I wasn't as paranoid so I dont know if its always been the default coloration.

Given Norbert and Voldemort did share siphons and all that prior to Norberts death, I treated for 16 days of Paraguard (non-formaline aldehyde mixed with malachite green product) as prophylaxis since the sharing of items may bring in parasites such as velvet that may have killed Norbert...
viber_image_2022-01-23_11-03-38-453.jpg
viber_image_2022-01-23_11-04-18-201.jpg
viber_image_2022-01-13_12-03-34-651.jpg

For reference:
Tank: 5 gallon
Temp: 78-81 F consistent
Parameters: 0-0-10 prior to water changes
water change sked: 40% weekly
Food: Hikari Biogold 5-6 pellets twice a day
Age: I got him August 2021, estimating age is maybe a year old.
Appetite: Eats, though not the most food motivated because if food isn't dropped literally near his face, he wouldnt really notice that there is food. And he does get full after 4-6 pellets unlike my others who can actually eat to death if given a chance.
Temperament: Somewhat shy and hides when I approach. But comes out again.

I currently have Seachem Cupramine in case there is a need... coz I will never ever be caught unprepared when velvet hits as that whole thing is just heartbreaking.

Last edited:
velvet shows up as yellow or gold spots or a sheen over the body. If you shine a torch (flashlight for the US) on a fish at night, that will show up any velvet as a yellow sheen. A digital camera with the flash set to ON, will also show it up.

Velvet also causes fish to rub on objects in the tank.

The fish in the picture does not appear to have velvet.

I would say that this fish doesn't have Velvet. Velvet is a rare disease in the aquarium world

Voldemort
wow didn't suspect the one who must not be named.
I'm assuming this name originated from the Norwegian Ridgeback Dragon Norbert. (which later turns out to be female!!)(Norberta)

I don't think your fish has Velvet at all. bettas can change colors for a variety of reasons, so if a betta has a color (colour for the UK) change I wouldn't stress unless side effects come with this.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back