Is This Idea Tacky Or Cool? Please Be Honest!

Tacky or Cool?


  • Total voters
    28

MermaidMel

Official Forum Weirdo Detective
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
3,972
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I am rescaping my corner tank its 190 litres, it is sandy bottom and juwel rock background, as pic, ignore spade, this was when I set it up. See I've cut away some background over the black background to make it look like a far away cave. I wondered, if I part a gap in the sand (looking at the centre front of the tank, the gap forming a pathway right into the back corner) and filling the gap with gravel so it's a gravel pathway with sandy bed either side of that. First is that going to look really good or really bad, 2nd is it going to merge into one over time?

641g8l.jpg
 
Looks good just the way it is , but that's just me , personal choice really, :good:
 
The rocks, being that they are larger than the sand, will stay on top, not matter what.

Ever had a bucket of different sized rocks and gravel, and you gave it a good shake. All the larger rocks will travel to the top, as the sand, being smaller, will fall to the bottom.

-FHM
 
IMO i would have put one of the rock backgrounds upside down, so you dont see the same pattern. just an idea, but it is too late now lol.

the pathway sounds kinda good :D
 
I've never noticed those rock backgrounds being the same, I only look at it every single night for most of this year and I can't believe I didn't spot that. Like you say, it's too late now!
 
Path idea sounds interesting. The only problem is -will it stay the same over time? Guess that depends on your fish. I started with a half sand /half gravel tank but my 8 in plec has shifted all the sand and covered everyting in the tank including wood in sand!
 
i did tick not sure, but i dont think i like it, to me, it looks incomplete, sorry :blush:

i think maybe (if you can) put the black backing inside, it would look better, i think its cause the glass can be seen it doesnt look like a cave to me, it looks unfinished.

have you tried seeing if you could use something to stick the backing inside?
 
I like the idea overall but not so much on gravel path.Another option to think on (maybe you have) is instead of a gravel path,you could use rock similar in color and shape to that of the background to make a "path" or "fall trail". Mmmm,sorta like in fell out of that place to make the cave or something. A column of rock that fell apart.I'm sure i'd take alot of tinkering to make it right but it comes to my head just fine :P
 
I'll reserve judgement until I see it a little further along. Just as long as the right hardscape and fish are added it should look amazing! :good:
 
I like it

what fish are going in Mel?
 
I like the back ground. Look lovely with plants.
 
I think it would look better following some rules of design, so not have it right in the centre. Maybe starting wider, off to one side of the tank, then getting narrower as it disappears into the 'cave'. If you use some fairly large pebbles, it should stay in place. I love to see 'land'scapes in tanks :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top