Is this Ich?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Pinecones12358

Reaction score
Hello! I purchased a female betta 9 days ago and placed her in a new aquarium. I added a new Java Fern yesterday and today I noticed white particles on her fins, mostly tail. Is it ich?

The tank has a filter but there is some ammonia (.25 ppm?) which I have been trying to control by dosing with biological enhancer, and i did a water change a week ago.

She is alone in her tank. Its 8.5 gallons. Today I noticed her top fin is constricted, she usually relaxes it when she has done a stroke or two. She is still very energetic and she loves to eat. My heater is supposed to keep the tank at 76, but I think its more like 80.

I want to do a water change asap but should I incorporate medicine for ich? I know I shouldnt have let the salesperson talk me into putting her in the tank before cycling it fully. Please help me keep her healthy and happy! Thanks for any advice!

I wish she would stay still for a good picture. This is the best I could get. See the particles?
20200914_180844_HDR.jpg

Hi! First off welcome. Second off, yes that is ich. You can treat by doing daily 60% water changes and raising the temperature to about 86°F. Seeing as your heater runs a little hot, turn it up to 80 and see where it gets you temperature wise. If you can get to your local fish store, I'd recommend getting API aquarium salt. It is imperative in treating ich. Add one tablespoon per 5 gallons of water changed.

Thank you for responding! I cant change the temperature on my heater unfortunately. Knowing that I cant increase the temp would you recommend medicine too, or just aquarium salt? Thanks again!

r
Thank you for responding! I cant change the temperature on my heater unfortunately. Knowing that I cant increase the temp would you recommend medicine too, or just aquarium salt? Thanks again!
Just the salt will work. Some medications can even be harmful to fish!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back