Is This Big Enough For 1 Betta?

That's the reason your ammonia is showing.

Most sponge filters should work. They produce very little current and are safe enough for fry so safe enough for adult bettas . As for cannisters, the Rena Filstar is a good filter and the flow can be turned right down and then blocked with an ornament or wood. Bronson has one set up in this way and he hsn't been sucked into it as yet.
What is the model number for the appropriate sized Rena Filstar?

I have a net over my Eclipse filter (seperate tank) to keep my guppy fry & pygmy cories from being sucked in. That does work well :)

Oh, and I added IAL to his tank and took his leaf out and have done about 4 water changes (ranging from 25%-50%) and still the water is an amber color. How long till this goes away? I would like to keep leaves in there, but worried that the decomposing leaf would increase ammonia. Wouldn't that be the case? (The betta I still put the IAL in is one of my females and she gets 100% changes every 3 days. She loves the leaves)

My Rena is an older model and I can't seem to find it online, but there is one of what appears to be a similar size and power, it looks similar too. It has no flow adjustment, but from the look of it the outflow sticks out and you can make a spraybar attatchment for it using a piece of flexible hose and a piece of rigid pipe with holes drilled in it. Obviously just make sure the flexible hose fits tightly onto the outflow nozzle and also the rigid pipe.

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalogue/rena-internal-power-filters.asp

I find mine to be pretty much silent also, so having the tank in a bedroom would not diusturb sleep.

The amber colour probably won't go away. It's tannins leached from the leaves. They won't harm your fish and since their native waters are not crystal clear anyway it gives the water a more natural colour for them. Removing the leaves completely and doing a lot of water changes , and never adding them again would give you clear water, but if the fish like the leaves then leave them in and remove when they start to disintegrate . As long as you do weekly water changes and filter you shouldn't get an ammonia reading from them.

Perhaps you're adding too many? I use half a leaf in Bronson and the Girls tanks, and I barely get this discolouration of the water at all. Also do you have any bogwood in the tanks? This also leaches tannins and if you have some in there it's probably that and not the leaves colouring the water.
The reason I was wondering about the amber color is because I removed the leaves a few weeks back and have done multiple changes and still the water is brownish. In one of my other betta tanks, I've kept a small leaf piece 1" X 2" and she LOVES that and blows bubbles now. I'll add a few bits back into the unfiltered tank for one of my guys. I don't mind the brown. . .it just looks like I'm not up on cleanings which bugs me a bit.

Thanks for the filter info. I'll hunt for it on a US site :)

This has nothing to do with morals but rather is a matter of practicality. Long flowing fins and tail can be all too easily snagged and ruined by clutter added to in a big tank and make swimming against a current created by a filter

thats why you use a sponge fillter mine is in a 5g tank with a spray bar that he swims againg and his fins have never had 1 rip in them and along as you get silk or live plants and smoth substance theres nothink for them to cut there fins on.

is still think 3g is the min to give it some room to actually move in and so that when you add a fillter and heater (which they need) there will still be enoght water volume and then you can add plant that will make it feel alot safer and happyer but you just cant do that in a 1g tank.
I do not think they always need a filter or a heater. But again, I live in Miami and it never gets cold enough that I have to heat any of my tanks. As for filtration, the plants that I add (usually Pothos sprigs) probably do a better job cleaning the water than most filters without the potential problems that a current could cause to the fins. All my tanks, with or without filtration, are planted in some way. While I did feed my betta generously, he also munched on the various microorganisms on the plant roots, small snails living in the bowl, and I would feed him live mosquitos and ants. Granted, I also prefer plakats, which are generally smaller fish and have shorter fins.

It is fine that you feel this way. If 3g is the minimum for you to successfully meet the needs of your fish, than that is what you need. Others here will do equally well with a 1-2g unheated, unfiltered bowl. Still others, will do well with 5g and all the bells and whistles. It depends on what you want to do and there isn't a set method really. As long as you practice good husbandry and make sure the water is clean, you will be fine and the fish will thrive.

Back on the topic, yep, I was also going to say that 1.5-2g of water with gravel is going to weigh about 20lbs, give or take. That alone would discourage me from a wall-mounted aquarium. You could potentiall damage the dry-wall. Parents would get mad. :lol:

llj

yes but theres a diffrence between surviving and being healthy. garanteed my betta will live longer in a 5g tank anyone that keeps them in a 1g unheater unfilltered will.

Take a look at my signature. Four years old is pretty good. He only had one minor infection when he first moved to Miami from IL in 2006, otherwise, he was disease free. I don't know, you think he just survived at death's door for four years? I find that extremely hard to believe.
well you have been very lucky them because ive never heard a betta in a bowl that long with no fillter or heater so well done but i bet it would dtill have been healthyer if it was in a 5g with fillter and heater. how big actually was the tank?

Good husbandry and quality stock were the key, not blind luck. I do not purchase "rescue" bettas or petstore stock anymore. I purchased this fish from a friend here who had a suplus from her first spawn. The parents were quality stock from aquabid and she was working on developing a specific line. I received an F1 from her, which usually has a larger gene pool than if I received the result of a line development, so I already had a better fish to work with. It was also a smaller, short-finned plakat, which IMO, also explains its longevity. Less fins to haul around, and it was a young, more robust fish.

I really believe that adding the pothos sprigs eliminated the ammonia problem with regard to Alberich's care. I had tested the water in that bowl repeatedly, it never tested positive for ammonia, even before his waterchanges, which were done 2x a week. The test wasn't broken, it was new. I tend to not get ammonia in any of my tanks, or if I do, an algae spike will betray minute levels before they are toxic to fish and then I do a water change. The plants consumed it too quickly. The bowl had a capacity of between 2 and 2.5g. Not a small bowl by any means. I also used a minimal substrate, just a few smooth river stones which I removed and cleaned with each wather change. He had quite a bit of swimming space.

Again, 4 years isn't typical. It is a long life, regardless of the method of care. I've also kept bettas with a heater and a filter in 10g tanks divided 2 ways, so I understand your side completely. They lived about a year, so go figure, and with no ammonia in the tanks because they were also planted. These fish, however, were pet store fish with long fins and I did not know their history. I plant all of my tanks because, for me, it is the natural thing to do. So I think the quality of the fish has a lot to do with its longevity and the addition of plants to the picture.

If I purchase a betta again, I will make sure to purchase quality stock and I will stick with plakats, which just seem stronger to me. Also, I will be adding the pothos sprigs to eliminate ammonia. I am confident that while I may or may not get a betta to thrive for 4 years, it will certainly enjoy a quality life and live out its natural lifespan. Do I recommend this to everyone, no? I have special circumstances (more fish-keeping experience, warm climate, etc) that makes this method particularly successful for me. Like I said, it is up to the reader to decide what method works for them, but it's not anyone's place to blast a particular method or assert that their's as the only one that guarantees success. Again, the reader needs to decide based on the information he/she receives.

Out of my four bettas, the one in the 2-gallon unfiltered (but heated) seems the happiest. She's perky and blows bubbles all the time now that I added IAL to her bowl. Her water is frequently changed.

lljdma06 - with your long-lived betta, did you add aquarium salt to his bowl?
yh but i bet you it would be evan happyer if you added it to a 5g tank with filter and heater. how how is the tank?

With the maintenance routine tailored to the container being used it seems that GuppyGoddess's betta is perfectly fine in that size container. While it impossible to judge fish by human characteristics such as happy or sad, you can judge general condition by willingness to reproduce. If the conditions are wrong few fish will reproduce. Wouldn't blowing bubbles show a willingness to reproduce in this species?

With the maintenance routine tailored to the container being used it seems that GuppyGoddess's betta is perfectly fine in that size container. While it impossible to judge fish by human characteristics such as happy or sad, you can judge general condition by willingness to reproduce. If the conditions are wrong few fish will reproduce. Wouldn't blowing bubbles show a willingness to reproduce in this species?
not really i had a betta that was on deaths door with fungus and made a little bublenest and died the next day so i dont think that really shows they healthy when they want to reproduce.

This thread has gone far and wide and is completely off the original topic. We are now arguing about whether or not each other's personal experiences have any relevance and whether or not the morals of those who keep fish in different countries are acceptable. Suffice to say, on the morals question, we are each a product of the social situations in which we grew up and morality is always based on conforming to local standards, not some ultimate definition that is independent of all social context. Yes my thoughts are a bit radical because I must always acknowledge reality in things. I try my best not to let my own prejudices, the ones I acquired growing up, overly influence my thoughts.

The original poster has not even signed in to TFF for a week now. I guess they gave up on getting any good advice here.

Kizno1 said:
yh but i bet you it would be evan happyer if you added it to a 5g tank with filter and heater. how how is the tank?

I don't know, I couldn't measure his happiness. He was a fish. Maybe, maybe not, too many variables to consider. The tank is still up with just the posthos sprigs.

GuppyGoddess said:
lljdma06 - with your long-lived betta, did you add aquarium salt to his bowl?

No, I only use aquarium salt to hatch bbs. Plants tend to not like added salt, so I don't add any.

This thread has gone far and wide and is completely off the original topic. We are now arguing about whether or not each other's personal experiences have any relevance and whether or not the morals of those who keep fish in different countries are acceptable. Suffice to say, on the morals question, we are each a product of the social situations in which we grew up and morality is always based on conforming to local standards, not some ultimate definition that is independent of all social context. Yes my thoughts are a bit radical because I must always acknowledge reality in things. I try my best not to let my own prejudices, the ones I acquired growing up, overly influence my thoughts.

The original poster has not even signed in to TFF for a week now. I guess they gave up on getting any good advice here.

I know, a bang up job, right? :lol: We excel at going off topic. Still nothing overtly nasty, though, and a lot of articulate ideas have been presented, whether they conform to a reader's personal beliefs on betta husbandry or not, or whether they are on topic or not; it doesn't really make a difference to me as long as people aren't insulting one another. I'm sure the decision on what to purchase has already been made, hence the need for the OP to not post here again.

llj

Kizno1 said:

I don't know, I couldn't measure his happiness. He was a fish. Maybe, maybe not, too many variables to consider. The tank is still up with just the posthos sprigs.

that wasnt directed at you it was to guppy goddes.

There never has been anything overtly nasty.

No, there hasn't, and actually this topic has been quite informative, showing a wide range of techniques & ideas for keeping this particular species. That is just it, as with many thing in aquatics, nothing is written in stone, and sometimes the ideas on the fringe of what is acceptable end up being the new and innovative ideas. These ideas, when applied over time and many situations morph from being innovative to mainstream.

I always like to refer to the first person feeding beefheart to discus, like a cow is going to drop a heart while crossing the Amazon river. No doubt started off as being way out there, morphed to innovative, then mainstream. Over time some of the negative aspects of this are pointed out when improperly used, coming full circle.

It is up to the individual to keep pace with these ideas, and topics such as this help to do that. There is no one right way to keep fish, and often the edges of the acceptable parameters are fuzzy. These edges are where the innovations begin, any wise aquarist keeps careful note of them.

I believe the topic was Is This Big Enough For 1 Betta. Let's keep it to that, as this is a very informative topic.

Most reactions

Back