Is this a Betta?? I want to help

foxgirl158

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was looking on my local FB Marketplace to see if there were any 10g tanks for sale, and saw a posting. Someone is selling what looks like a 3g ish tank with accessories, food, AND A FISH for $20. I'm beyond disgusted. What kind of fish is he? He kinda looks like a Betta to me. The information next to the post says he's a tropical fish and a quote on quote community fish. Help identifying?
I want to help this poor little guy and give him a better life with me then with someone who is just selling him and his home, but I won't be able to convince my parents if I don't even know what type of fish he is. Sorry for the bad picture, I took a picture of the scree. This is the only picture with the fish that was posted.
IMG_20220208_095519729.jpg

It's a powder-blue dwarf gourami male :rofl: no betta here!!

Was just typing out "Umm, pretty sure that's a male gourami" when you replied! lol. The body stripes caught my eye so I looked for the trailing feelers and spotted them! :lol: But it's not a great photo, and especially alone in a 3g tank, I can see why people thought short-finned betta.

OP, gourami can go in community tanks, depending on the community etc, since they're a territorial surface dwelling labyrinth fish.

But beware of Rescuer Syndrome. You won't be able to save them all, sadly, and be absolutely sure you can take on the fish before buying it. Remember that there are others who will feel the same and also want to give it a good home, so it isn't for certain doomed if you don't buy it.

While adopting fish from previous owners is okay, I'd urge you to avoid Rescuer Syndrome when it comes to stores. A lot of people want to save all the bettas they see at Walmart/Persmart/Any other store selling fish for example - there are a lot of youtube videos based on that very thing - but all that does is encourage the stores to keep ordering, keeping and selling those fish. If no one bought them, they would quickly stop stocking them, so "rescuing" one from a store like that only perpetuates the problem and dooms more fish to die in that one's place.

That’s a Dwarf Gourami, y’all are trippin :lol: :rofl:

Females bettas don’t have feelers on their pelvic fins.

I was looking on my local FB Marketplace to see if there were any 10g tanks for sale, and saw a posting. Someone is selling what looks like a 3g ish tank with accessories, food, AND A FISH for $20. I'm beyond disgusted. What kind of fish is he? He kinda looks like a Betta to me. The information next to the post says he's a tropical fish and a quote on quote community fish. Help identifying?
I want to help this poor little guy and give him a better life with me then with someone who is just selling him and his home, but I won't be able to convince my parents if I don't even know what type of fish he is. Sorry for the bad picture, I took a picture of the scree. This is the only picture with the fish that was posted.
View attachment 154058
What size tank would you be putting him in if you did get it?

Most reactions

Back