is this a bad idea?

kaley822

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i few days ago i put the first 10 fish in my 20 gallon aquarium (6 neon tetras and 4 danios) i want to put more neons in there because they are really timid because of the danios. but, my tank is so new and i have read that the neons probably would die. they look fine, but then again they have only been in there for 4 days. should i wait on putting more neons (or not put any more at all?)

when i went to a fish store the person there advised me to wait at least a few weeks before adding more neons because he said they are weak fishes and my new tank would need to build up on benificial bacteria. So you should by some cycle or something like that. That was what he told me. So if i were you i would wait at least another week

I think your neons are doing pretty good if they lived for 4 days and nothing is wrong with them... :thumbs: Neons are hard tokeep alive they're good actors..

Ok neons are quite soft (prone to disease) aren't exactly hardy. You should wait a few weeks before you add more. I reccomend adding more as neons are little pirahnas (Not aggressive) they ideally need to be kept in at least a shoal of 10. But yes do wait at lest 2 weeks. ;)

Do not place an even amount of neons. I wouldn't suggest 10 because of the even number. They do way better in odd numbers. As much as I know this doesn't make sense but if you went into a number of 30 in this case it is an odd number because if they were to go off there would be 3 to a group. At first this won't make sense cause when the pet store told me this I thought the dude was on crack. But again I don't suggest 10 for it is an even number. I would suggest 11/13 total?

aernympha said:
i dont get it what worng with having ten!?!?!? :S
Nothing. I think this odd numbers thing is a myth - in many parts of Europe, even numbers of things are considered unlucky. Neons can't tell the difference between a shoal of 9 and a shoal of 10 (I challenge anyone to prove me wrong!). However, the bigger the shoal the better, from the neon's POV.

Well, they don't swim in even numbers, they usualy divide themselves and one of the neons apparently leaves the group. In my experence.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back